Respected Contributor

Re: Cop,that arrested 6 yr .olds

@esmerelda- I did post that I wrapped my body around my grandson when he had the occasional meltdown. Contrary to what some claim, tantrums dont end at 2.
Honored Contributor

According to the report I read from CBS News, there are nearly 3000 arrests of children from the age of 5-12 in the state of Florida.

I have a 6 year old grandson and anyone trained to be a teacher or a parent with half a brain in their head would understand how to deal with a temper tantrum without calling the police to intervene. I have never dealt with a child in all my 66 years that did not respond to kindness in a positive manner.

It truly is a travesty how inept some people are at their job. 6 year old children having a temper tantrum? There are a myriad of reasons why some kids have temper tantrums because they have an undiagnosed medical condition. Instead of having these children arrested, why not take the high road and have them evaluated. Arresting them is ignorant and insane. Literally insane on the part of adults who should know better.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:
@esmerelda- I did post that I wrapped my body around my grandson when he had the occasional meltdown. Contrary to what some claim, tantrums dont end at 2.

@bathinaI read what you posted.  I asked how you acted when your child, your grandchild's parent, had the occasional meltdown.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too many posters with no insight posting as usual. Saying someone is inept at their job unless you have walked in their shoes is not acceptable in my book. I'm sure those posters are the parents of perfect children who do no wrong. That is why so many teachers are quitting their jobs.

Honored Contributor

The grandmother wasn't there. She said her granddaughter had a tantrum,  What is a tantrum?  Is it just throwing yourself on the floor and screaming.  Is it hitting, kicking and biting?

How does Grandma know what happened? She is  only speculating because she didn't witness it.

The police officer was correct in handcuffing and removing the child if she was violent.  Where he failed to do the right thing is when arrested the child without permission from his supervisor.  Six year old children can be arrested for some things.  They are old enough to be accountable for their actions.

But on the same note, so was the PO.  He violated the rules and if he got fired for it, so be it. Rules apply to everyone and there are consequences for your actions no matter what your age is.

Honored Contributor

That is what is at the root of this. What actually happened.?Was it a tantrum, or some thing that went beyond that. No one seems to be able to say

Honored Contributor

In a press conference Monday, Orlando Police Chief Orlando Rolón said he was "sick to my stomach" after learning about what happened to the children and said the department has taken steps to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Thankfully, this should never happen again. I join Police Chief Orland Rolon in his thoughts about what happened to these two children.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

In a press conference Monday, Orlando Police Chief Orlando Rolón said he was "sick to my stomach" after learning about what happened to the children and said the department has taken steps to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Thankfully, this should never happen again. I join Police Chief Orland Rolon in his thoughts about what happened to these two children.

Of course he was going to say this to the press.  To say otherwise would incite a riot.

Honored Contributor

I saw a child so out of control once ,it  actually frightened me. I have never seen anything like this in my life. I thought he was going to seriously injure himself. He banged his head so hard it bled, and he screamed, and flung himself against furniture and into walls

What do they do when this happens in a school? It seems awful to let a child inflict damage on themselves,

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda- same way. How about you?