Honored Contributor

Re: Cop,that arrested 6 yr .olds

Some of this is for the child's safety ,as well as the safety of the officers during the process of transporting them. They are secured ,so they can't harm themselves ,or others

Unless he failed to follow procedure ,there is no reason he should lose his job. Being a police officer, is one of the toughest jobs in the world.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 wrote:

I spent many years as a middle school principal in a major urban area. My kids were tough and sometimes got out of control. I, my assistant principals , para andcseveralmteachers we’re all trained in how to de escalate and restrain kids. 

This did not happen often, but it did happen, the only time the police got involved was when there was a weapon. Most kids...and I am talking big boys were responsive when approached in the right manner.

i read many comments that teachers cannot do anything. F teachers are empowered and backed up by their administration, they should be able to.

and yes, I was sued a few times but it never went anywhere, 

this entire scholl staff staff needs to be restrained.

By the time children are in middle school, the really bad violent ones have already been placed in a school with classes and teachers  to handle their special needs.

At the elementary level, they are still being evaluated and running amuck. There is a big difference.

My youngest sister is a special education teacher., HS level.  i don't know how she does it.  She has had a knife incident in her classroom and the building went into lockdown.  No weapon was found, but a student had her arm severely sliced open on purpose.  The kids weren't even fighting.  These were girls.  One asked the other one to put out her arm...she grabbed it and sliced her and started to laugh.

I know much, much more that has happened at the elementary level in " my school" but because these children were special needs that were mainstreamed, the public was not informed.  Some of these were plots to cause serious injury to teachers that were on the  " hit list."

thank goodness these types of things don't happen everyday, but in my nine years, I have seen and heard far too much.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Absolutely unbelievable, he actually arrested 2 six year olds.  One was having temper tantrum, I don't think they said what the other little one was doing.  Yes, he should be fired and barred from working anywhere near children in the future.  Also, they should look at what was happening in the school with the teachers.  That's where the problem really began.   

The problem began when the teachers were stripped of their ability to even say anything negative to the kids.   

They are not allowed to do or say anything to these kids that isn't positive.  The teachers aren't at fault here.  The system is.  Teachers have their hands tied.

@CarmieYou speak truth and common sense.  We're reaping what was sown in the so-called self-esteem movement that's been gathering steam for decades now.  Part of the fallout has been an increase in bullying.  And there's no end in sight, because the mindset of its adult supporters has been institutionalized in the education establishment at every level.  (Check out college campuses -- the students look like adults but many behave like 6-year-olds, and their temper tantrums are lauded and applauded by faculty and administrators.)  What was misguidedly meant to help kids has in fact harmed them -- and we're all paying the price.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Some of this is for the child's safety ,as well as the safety of the officers during the process of transporting them. They are secured ,so they can't harm themselves ,or others

Unless he failed to follow procedure ,there is no reason he should lose his job. Being a police officer, is one of the toughest jobs in the world.

In the case the Op is writing about, the PO did not follow procedure.  He needed permission from his super  to arrest and take these children to the detention center because of their young age and he failed to get it.  He was correct in removing them, but didn't follow procedure on what to do with them after they were out of the school.

Honored Contributor

In my area he would be  disciplined , but not severely..most likely he will get a warning, because what he did was for the best interest of everyone, including the child @Carmie 

Respected Contributor

He was a school resource officer who worked at the school and had a history of disciplinary actions, one of which was child abuse on his kid.

it was a poor move by the grandmother to go to the media with her grandchild. she could have just commented on the incident.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Absolutely unbelievable, he actually arrested 2 six year olds.  One was having temper tantrum, I don't think they said what the other little one was doing.  Yes, he should be fired and barred from working anywhere near children in the future.  Also, they should look at what was happening in the school with the teachers.  That's where the problem really began.   

The problem began when the teachers were stripped of their ability to even say anything negative to the kids.   

They are not allowed to do or say anything to these kids that isn't positive.  The teachers aren't at fault here.  The system is.  Teachers have their hands tied.

@CarmieYou speak truth and common sense.  We're reaping what was sown in the so-called self-esteem movement that's been gathering steam for decades now.  Part of the fallout has been an increase in bullying.  And there's no end in sight, because the mindset of its adult supporters has been institutionalized in the education establishment at every level.  (Check out college campuses -- the students look like adults but many behave like 6-year-olds, and their temper tantrums are lauded and applauded by faculty and administrators.)  What was misguidedly meant to help kids has in fact harmed them -- and we're all paying the price.

I think there's an element of truth to what you're saying about the whole 'everything's relative' mentality and 'self esteem movement, as you call it,  that's so literally captured society... I also think the 'least restrictive environment', and 'mainstreaming' mandates of the 80's, along with the mandate that public education must provide for virtually every child have helped lead to a real breakdown in so many areas impacting both special needs individuals, and society at large... Not everyone is best managed in a public setting and mandating such to be the case has led to huge problems, significant abuses and skyrocketing costs for education systems and hence for taxpayers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Does anyone know if the parents were called first? I just have a hard time with children being handcuffed. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

In my area he would be  disciplined , but not severely..most likely he will get a warning, because what he did was for the best interest of everyone, including the child @Carmie 

That probably happens almost everywhere, but when the story goes viral, there is no choice.  

It also didn't help that this PO had several other incidents that were not right.  If he was a bad PO he should be fired.

yes, I have seen bad PO's that were allowed to work until they finally broke the rules far too many times. Rules apply to them too.  They are put in place to protect the public and the PO. This guy from the info I read, was a bad egg and should be in another career.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@dex wrote:

When they are kicking,punching and spitting...what should be done if you can’t touch them?

@dex   I wonder how throwing a bucket of water on them would be viewed. 

It would probably work, but heavens forbid, you would be reading comments of how awful that was on social media. It would probably make violent kids more violent after the initial stun factor.

Or perhaps this method......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFOIQwE29E