Honored Contributor

Cop,that arrested 6 yr .olds

[ Edited ]

I thought any one would know how wrong this is, i hope he will lose his job.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cop,that arrested 6 yr .olds

He arrested more than one? 

Honored Contributor

While kicking an adult when throwing a tantrum is a sign that this child needs help, handcuffing and arresting her is not the answer.  The child's parents should be mandated to get counseling help.  

Honored Contributor

Before I'd fire the officer, I'd want to know who called him into the school and why as well as what else is known about the incident from beginning to end.  I'm not saying the end justified the means, -  I just need much more info before judging so severely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There were two, not at same time.Kids have tantrums.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

There were two, not at same time.Kids have tantrums.

Tantrums can become violent and other children can be hurt.  Do not know what happen in this specific situation, however there are times extreme measures need to be taken for everyones safety.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The POLICE OFFICER is fired, he was under investigation before this incident happened. I don't understand why the school didn't take care of the situation since the children are so young...very poor judgment by all involved.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   I agree - it is very necessary to see this entire incident from start to finish. While I may think handcuffing a 6 year old, this 6 yr old kicked the teacher. Everyone involved needs some sort of discipline.

Sleep apnea in a 6 yr old is questionable. Has she really been diagnosed with this? Few of us sleep well at night including 6 yr old children but I'm hard pressed to call it apnea.

I still need full details to assess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband has been a police officer for 35 years.  He has had to go into a school and handcuff children who are very young and place them in the police car and take them to the police station.

He doesn't like having to do that, but he has no choice.  Teachers and others who work in the school cannot under any circumstances touch a child for any reason.  Teachers are only allowed to block assaults with their arms extended.  Once in a while, kids who are stronger than you think actually cause physical harm to their teachers, classmates and to themselves and destroy school property.

You cannot fire a police officer for doing his or her job.  Unfortunately, sometimes circumstances require such actions to protect the child and others who might or have come into contact with them.

The officer in this case did not follow correct protocol required by his department and he has and should be punished for his actions, but having police officers handcuffing children to remove them from a school is an everyday occurrence.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know of cases in one of the largest school districts where a police officer will be called out to the school to talk to an individual elementary school student in a "tough love" demeanor and/or handcuffed.  It can be a last resort strategy when a child is wildly out of control and has often already been suspended/and or removed and sent to another school.  Unfortunately, there have been cases where weapons have been found on elementary school children.  Challenging situation, as you cannot allow other students to be at-risk.

Regarding this situation, more information is necessary.