Honored Contributor

Re: Cop,that arrested 6 yr .olds

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Between this and that other thread about the kids playing in a neighbor's yard while they weren't home...I'm starting to think some people here are genuinely afraid of kids.

Discussion doesn't stay on the actual action of the child. It gets diverted toward a strange slippery slope theory of what horrible thing the kid could have done next or what they could be scheming to do in the future.

Children deserve the benefit of the doubt as much as adults do.

@Porcelain, I have not yet finished reading the posts that come after yours here. But I had to stop to tell you that this is just one example of many that shows me how intelligent, articulate, and empathetic you are.

You are spot-on about the diversion, and yes, I've seen it many times on this board.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain, I have not yet finishing read the posts that come after yours here. But I had to stop to tell you that this is just one example of many that shows me how intelligent, articulate, and empathetic you are.

You are spot-on about the diversion, and yes, I've seen it many times on this board.

What a wonderful compliment! Thank you! I feel similarly about your posts, so coming from you, this warmed my heart. HeartHeartHeart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Has there been any information out there that this child has mental or behavior problems other than this tantrum?

If so, I hope that her grandmother will get her help. What I saw of the interview with her, she seems very invested in the child and very caring.

If there have not been any other such reports, no one here should predict dire problems from her in the future, as several posters have done. She is six-years-old and not quite formed yet -- which, btw, doesn't happen for many more years to come.

Bad seed? Just wow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Before I'd fire the officer, I'd want to know who called him into the school and why as well as what else is known about the incident from beginning to end.  I'm not saying the end justified the means, -  I just need much more info before judging so severely.

You.Don't.ARREST.A.SIX.YEAR.OLD.CHILD.

That's ALL the information that's needed.

Period. Full Stop.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Has there been any information out there that this child has mental or behavior problems other than this tantrum?

If so, I hope that her grandmother will get her help. What I saw of the interview with her, she seems very invested in the child and very caring.

If there have not been any other such reports, no one here should predict dire problems from her in the future, as several posters have done. She is six-years-old and not quite formed yet -- which, btw, doesn't happen for many more years to come.

Bad seed? Just wow.

@suzyQ3 

Exactly. 

The fact that there's even any discussion about this is ABSURD.

If there is a disciplinary problem, that's one thing.  But ARRESTING a   SIX YEAR  OLD  CHILD?

What in the world is going on?  REALLY?

My sister is a first grade teacher.  She has been teaching for 25 years.  She has seen it all.  There are a lot of kids with issues, unfortunately.

That doesn't mean they get arrested.  This is beyond belief!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Between this and that other thread about the kids playing in a neighbor's yard while they weren't home...I'm starting to think some people here are genuinely afraid of kids.

Discussion doesn't stay on the actual action of the child. It gets diverted toward a strange slippery slope theory of what horrible thing the kid could have done next or what they could be scheming to do in the future.

Children deserve the benefit of the doubt as much as adults do.

@Porcelain, I have not yet finished reading the posts that come after yours here. But I had to stop to tell you that this is just one example of many that shows me how intelligent, articulate, and empathetic you are.

I'd agree, so often there are posters that will take an item and create a completely different scenario, often based on the 'what if' premise, really taking the ball and running with it... By the same token, there are also posters who create vivid pictures of anyone posting an opinion contrary to theirs... This too is rather glaring and also a diversion. It's also often extremely unflattering and unwarranted, seemingly based on assumptions that fit what they choose to believe but that might well not fit reality at all...  One assumes it's the age old conundrum that for some folks it's acceptable to harshly 'call out' other posters but not all right for those other posters to 'call out' the 'non-member' subjects of some threads appearing here...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower   All arrest records disappear when they are 18 unless they commit a crime such as homicide or one where they are charged as an adult because of the severity of the crime.

They get a clean slate, so a juvenile arrest record doesn't follow them around in their adult life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower   All arrest records disappear when they are 18 unless they commit a crime such as homicide or one where they are charged as an adult because of the severity of the crime.

They get a clean slate, so a juvenile arrest record doesn't follow them around in their adult life.

The  foregoing must be state specific.  In at least one state juvenile records are sealed and very difficult to have unsealed but unless the governor is petitioned and approves the record is not expunged.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know who I feel more sorry for, the child, the teacher, or law enforcement??  I do think putting handcuffs on a 6 yr. old and arresting a 6 yr. old was not the right thing to do. Why don't they call the parents (or grandparent) to come and pick them up?  That seems the natural thing to do. If a child continues to be a disruption or threat to other classmates then they should be sent home with the requirement of getting outside help for that child.  Whatever happened to sending them to a principles office where there are trained people to deal with these children. Teachers don't really have the time when there are so many other children at the moment to think about.

I know several teachers who won't teach 6th graders and went down to 1st through 3rd graders because so many are out of control.  I have seen 6 yr. olds capable of doing harm to their classmates.  Parents should know that their children are safe at school.  Again, I feel taking this child  to the principles office (or counselors office)  should have been the first step in calming this child.