Esteemed Contributor

Cool hobby idea

[ Edited ]

Where my daughter lives (about an hour from us and the following has now expanded near my home because I found one yesterday!)

To explain, people paint rocks (just a few inches by inches big that you get at the store or find outside) with pictures they paint or words of encouragement or sentiments. And on the back you put the name of the facebook page "For this hobby" (NOT your page),so when someone finds a rock they go on the page and say so and post a pic of it. 

They hide them outside of businesses, outside on walking areas/paths, etc. They say do not hide them inside businesses OR state/government owned parks though.

When you find one you either keep, or share (most share as in re-hide them but many keep their first rock , but whatever they want).

This has taken off huge that the group on FB has over 15 thousand members!

I am going to start doing rocks and hiding them also.

When people find these, it really brightens their day because they post about it then. Some have been found just at the right time when someone was going through a rough patch in their life, a loss of a loved one, etc. And some have been found even in other states where people vacationed and put them! 

So anyway I think its really cool and I am going to join in. Now I am not an artist, so I will probably paint words of encouragement or little sayings.But I will tell you, some of the art work is fabulous that people do on these little rocks! Oh children are doing this also and its a neat hobby for them to do with the entire family.

And btw I found mine when we were out and about and just when i was thinking of my mom at her birthday and feeling sad that she passed away so young. I looked down, and there was one of these rocks with a beautiful sentiment on! (I am keeping my first one)

And well, IMO you cant spread enough kindness in the world so I love this (and also, I could use a hobby right now) 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor
Check out Pinterest for some really cute ideas for painting rocks. There are so many ideas. You can Google: Ideas for painting rocks.
Esteemed Contributor

e find them all over....some are really beautiful!!

Honored Contributor

My little rural town has been doing this painted stone thing for years! I actually thought everyone knew about it already! Have fun. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I haven’t found any in the USA but I have found them on vacation in Canada.It is a fun idea.

Esteemed Contributor

The Zephyrhills Police Department spread some love by creating and hiding a dozen special ZPD-branded PRIZE rocks. If you find one, be sure to follow the instructions on the back of the rock. When you bring the rock to turn it in at the Zephyrhills Police Department located at 6118 8th St, you'll receive a special voucher for a free, sweet treat compliments of McDonald's.  From Tampa Tribune

Great community project!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies. I never heard of it until now. That's cool a lot of places do this. And thank you for the pinterest suggestion. I will look on there for ideas! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles