Respected Contributor

I recall a couple as a young wife. Anybody want to share? This could be fun. My worst was trying to make baked beans from scratch. The recipe said 2 cups of dry beans....I used 2 pounds. You can imagine....

Respected Contributor
I remember a Thanksgiving turkey when I was little that my Mom forgot to remove the bag of giblets from!!
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Alright I will embarrass myself once again and tell this story. I had never baked before as a young bride. I was making cookies and it called for Crisco...so gee I had a bottle of Crisco...lets say I was the real founder of pizza cookies. Large and crispy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor
On 5/19/2014 PurpleBunny said: I remember a Thanksgiving turkey when I was little that my Mom forgot to remove the bag of giblets from!!

My mother did that every year...no matter how many times she did it...she forgot and did it again.

My mother made a funny mistake one time. She had an oven above the stove. She was cooking chili on the stove and went to take the Apple Pie out of the oven...dropped the pie into the chili...scooped as much as she could out and never mentioned it. Well I have a discerning tongue noticed the sweetness instantly and mentioned it. She then fessed up. Must say it wasn't all that bad.There were no apples left just a bit of sugar and cinnamon.

Respected Contributor
Cinnamon is the secret ingredient in many chili recipes!!!
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor
On 5/19/2014 PurpleBunny said: Cinnamon is the secret ingredient in many chili recipes!!!

Well...it tasted pretty good PB.

Valued Contributor
I cooked a precook end ham with the wrapper on ---and as a novice cook, I , more than once cooked a turkey with the bag of giblets inside
Super Contributor
On 5/19/2014 croemer said:
On 5/19/2014 PurpleBunny said: I remember a Thanksgiving turkey when I was little that my Mom forgot to remove the bag of giblets from!!

My mother did that every year...no matter how many times she did it...she forgot and did it again.

My mother made a funny mistake one time. She had an oven above the stove. She was cooking chili on the stove and went to take the Apple Pie out of the oven...dropped the pie into the chili...scooped as much as she could out and never mentioned it. Well I have a discerning tongue noticed the sweetness instantly and mentioned it. She then fessed up. Must say it wasn't all that bad.{#emotions_dlg.lol}There were no apples left just a bit of sugar and cinnamon.

Okay, that is hilarious!!!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Hope you add some apple pie to your chili now. LOL!

Scottie, 2 POUNDS of beans? Seriously? {#emotions_dlg.lol} I won't even start with the gas jokes, but wow!

My mom was an excellent cook and her specialty was baking, her pastry was divine. I wish I had paid more attention to her cooking through the years, and I do okay, but it all seemed to come so natural to her, she rarely used a recipe. I know she learned from her mom and sisters, and my dad told me a story of when they were newlyweds. My mom was the baby girl in a family with 1 brother and 3 older sisters, and she left England to come to Kansas all by herself to marry my dad after WWII. She was a brave chick! She knew nobody, and she was doing her best to be the perfect wife. She decided to make a roasted chicken for my dad, and they didn't have much money, so it was a splurge and special meal. She put it in the oven with all the veggies, carrots and onions, and it got nice and golden brown, but she didn't cook it long enough at the right temperature. My daddy said that chicken was so rubbery you could play basketball with it. It wasn't cooked through, although it looked gorgeous on the outside, and my mom was devastated. My sweet parents were married nearly 62 years before my mom died, and they recalled that story so many times and laughed. My mom managed to figure out how to bake a delicious chicken, but that was one of their moments they always found funny. Every time I bake a chicken I think of her and that story.

My baking disasters would be when I was young. Like I said, my mom made the best pastry, and she would always let me help. She always reminded me not to overwork it or it would get tough, but I would roll it out and try to male some tarts or turnovers. Sometimes I would drop it on the floor, and she would help me pick it up and clean it off. She would help me cut out the tarts, put them in a baking pan and fill them with jam. All the time she would tell me how much daddy would love these (yeah, right, lol) So when it was time for dessert, and dad would have an awesome pie waiting for him, and my tarts that had been on the floor, of course he would take some of both. I can remember my mom just smiling and saying what a great job I did, and dad eating the overworked pastry and telling me how delicious they were. I can only imagine the conversations they had at night and the giggles they shared. My poor dad had to eat lots of my creations, including the cakes from my Easy-Bake Oven. Cakes baked by light bulb.... oh my. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

I guess mine would be that I could not cook the sausage links because they kept falling apart in the skillet. Yes, I did take all of the thin membrane off before cooking.

Respected Contributor
I started cooking young, so I've always been pretty good at it. The only disaster I can think of was a few years back ... I was nearly done with my Thanksgiving cooking when I noticed one of my long, red nails missing. I nearly had a stroke at the thought of someone finding it in the meal. THANKFULLY, I eventually found it in the sink amongst the vegetable peels!!
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )