Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking....Am I the Only One?

@Bridgegal wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why would you give up cooking just because one single stew was a disappointment?

Because as I mentioned in earlier posts this isn't the first time.  It seems to have become a recurring event in the last couple of years.  

This was the final straw not the first one.

That explains it, I don't read every post on the board so I didn't know the back story.  With all of the prepared foods, frozen foods etc, we can eat well wthout cooking from scratch. 

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal

I don't enjoy cooking but I do it because I am picky about the quality of food that I consume. I can't have it both ways so I cook and keep it pretty simple.  I rarely have something turn out bad and, as mentioned, sometimes it is just the meat. I'm a good cook, just not interested in living my life in the kitchen.

I'd love it if I could pick up a ready to eat meal at the store that is as healthy as what I can cook myself but it doesn't exist. 

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal,I had the SAME thing happen to me with the last time I made stew a few weeks ago!  Turns out I got the stew beef at Sam's and DH had commented a while back when I had bought ribeye steaks there that the beef may not be aged because they had no flavor at all too!!!

Did you change where you shop?  One time at our regular store I had some tasteless steaks from their premium brand.  I went back to their regular "USDA choice"!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Bridgegal,I had the SAME thing happen to me with the last time I made stew a few weeks ago!  Turns out I got the stew beef at Sam's and DH had commented a while back when I had bought ribeye steaks there that the beef may not be aged because they had no flavor at all too!!!

Did you change where you shop?  One time at our regular store I had some tasteless steaks from their premium brand.  I went back to their regular "USDA choice"!

I wondered about that at first.  But when I got bites of meat, it tasted good.  It was the overall dish that was flavorless.   The meat was grass fed local RWA Angus beef and yes I've bought it before.  

I'm just chalking it up to a bad batch.  Now that warm weather is here, what beef, chicken , pork we eat which isn't a lot , I'll do on the outside grill.

Honored Contributor

@cah wrote:

I made a beef stew a couple of weeks ago in the slow cooker.
Instead of the usual red wine, I put a bottle of
beer in it.
Wow, that was the magic trick, it was fabulous, and it's beer from now on! 

@cah  Years ago, I made a beef, onion, and beer stew baked in the oven, a few days before I was having company.  I kept tasting it, and it was so fantastic that DH and I kept eating it until it was gone, so I had to make something else for the company, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe it was the cut of meat...? Grocery stores have changed quality on so many things. I actually never buy meat at the grocery, but at the local farmer's market.

Also, vegetables. Potatoes (for one) are all modified these days.

eta: I just read your response that the meat was fine. In my own cooking, I always experiment with herbs & spices, since they are considered to be the superfoods. But also, they always add flavor interest to the dish.

If, though, it is your same recipe that you've done before...

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal

That's probably happened to many of us.

Happened to me Christmas of 2011, when instead of ordering a standing rib roast from my butcher, I decided to purchase a grass fed standing rib roast from the butcher at Whole Foods.

Yuck, yuck and yuck.  Tasted like cardboard nothingness and I paid a bundle for that rib roast to boot.  I will NEVER purchase grass fed anything ever again.

Valued Contributor

@Bridgegal   

I felt just like you!  Then, I heard about the science behind making a good beef stew:

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/16/163002343/test-kitchen-chefs-talk-the-science-of-savory  

I made the recipe with the secret 🐟ingredient (along with cutting my own beef from a chuck roast) and it was very good.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

Sometimes it is the meat.  I can make a really good meatloaf sometimes, and the next time, it is tasteless.  Same recipe,  

Respected Contributor

@rrpell   Thanks for posting that link.   I read it and it makes so much sense.   Of course, I've made tasty beef stews for decades without doing all of that but next time , and yes there will be a next time, I'll follow that recipe and see how it turns out.