Frequent Contributor

Convection oven. Pros And cons

We THINK we want a Convection Oven for our church. We are making meals for. about 50-100 senior citizens once a week. Trying to decide if this is the direction to go    Thanks for your help 

Super Contributor

Re: Convection oven. Pros And cons

Just bought a new stove a couple months ago, and it has convection on it.  I like it.  There is a slight learning curve, but baking is more evern, and things get done faster.  Good Luck, and God Bless!

Contributor

They are a timesaver and you have much more even cooking, without the hot or cooler spots you have in a regular oven.  I love mine (Viking) and use it often! I highly recommend the brand.  With what you are doing, and if the church can afford it, you may want to look at a commercial convection oven.  Prices range from $2500 on up.  It's an investment but it certainly would make the work more efficient.  What a wonderful thing you are doing!  

Honored Contributor

I have had those in both of our recent houses and to be honest, they are ok, but nothing spectacular.

Also, recipes have to be adjusted for them, so I definitely would not recommend one where people not familiar with them would be using them.

You might have a lot of not-so-great result and upset people.  

Respected Contributor

@gillsburg  When we remodeled our kitchen and purchased a very expensive range,  the convection portion of the oven was part of the package.  I never had one before, and really didn't think I would use it.   WRONG!!!!!   I use it to speed up  cooking, I use it for browning (fabulous), and it truly is a nice option to have.  I use it often!    I mainly use my oven on bake,  but absolutly use the convection portion for parts of the cooking/baking.  LOVE IT and would want one again when we eventually move. 

Respected Contributor

My oven is both - I can choose either regular or convection depending on what I am cooking. I'm not sure I would want one that is convection only because you have to adjust oven temp and cooking times. I do like the choice however.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

My oven is both - I can choose either regular or convection depending on what I am cooking. I'm not sure I would want one that is convection only because you have to adjust oven temp and cooking times. I do like the choice however.

@froggy, excellent point!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I prefer a convection oven because it bakes more evenly, faster, and at a lower temperature. Some convection ovens have the provides you with the option to turn off/on the convection feature. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have had a convection for more than 25 years. I love it. There is a learning curve to get used to, but the results are worth it.

And, things cook much faster using the convection oven. Turkeys and roasts are terrific.

Respected Contributor

My oven is both a conventional and convection. It automatically adjusts the cooking time and temperature when I use the covenvection setting.