Honored Contributor

Re: Continuing to order, are we helping or hurting?

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@MominohioIf the virus can stay on a surface for up to 9 days, what good does it do to leave a package outside for only 24 hrs?

Everything I've read says it stays on cardboard for only a matter of several hours. They think paper is similar in time.

edited to add

They are stating that the virus lives on different kinds of surfaces for different lengths of time, cardboard being one that is only a relatively short time. It's different for plastic, metal, etc. 

They are also believing that the virus still is on certain surfaces for a longer time, but that it starts to weaken and not be as strong. So, still there, but often not in strength to make you sick as more time passes.

@Pearlee 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

I am torn on this issue....on the one hand I want the restaurants and employees to be able to earn some money and stay in business.  So we have gotten one take out so far...and I think we will do so in future.  

On the other hand I have thought of what you ladies are saying....are the people truly washing and wearing gloves and so on??  

BUT the grocery store issue is just as "risky" in my mind...people are packed in these stores...and having to go to many of them just trying to get a weeks worth of supplies is very difficult.  And since this virus is passed with people having no symptoms means you might not see/hear anyone coughing sneezing or whatever there but who knows? anyone around you may have it...heck I might have it from going to the stores so much in the past week just trying to find eggs or TP!

Since this stuff is so contagious I am thinking it's just a matter of time...which isn't a nice thought BUT I am so hopeful in these medications they are testing out that show such promise and the company working on a antibodies treatment (Dr. Jacob Glanville) which he said once injected would work in 20mins.  I found this just so amazing.

Also they are saying most that do get it will not have fatal results...(thank goodness) but still we would all desire and want zero fatal outcomes for all.

@tsavorite 

I agree with you about the risk in going to the grocery. The last time I was in a grocery was a week ago tomorrow (monday) and that store, we hit at opening (Aldi's) was full. Loaded with dairy and produce. That was all I bought. 

But the whole time I was thinking it was dicey to be around that many people, to have the clerks, cashier etc. touching all the food/packages. 

If this thing really is as easy to spread as they say, short of never going out, and everyone else you live with doing the same, and taking nothing into your home, including mail, seems to be the only way to prevent getting it. Not sure how many people can really do that because of jobs eventually. 

I considered doing another fresh food run today, early as but have decided against it. I'm going to see how the spread continues this week. I really could go months, if it I can make myself live without fresh produce and fresh dairy (and we can). But my husband going to work daily keeps us in the risk, so we'll see.

Super Contributor

Depends on each individuals personal, financial circumstances.  Wants vs. needs for very many is primary.  Prior, most especially now and moving forward.  For others a non issue.  How others choose to spend, where to depend their monies is up to each individual.  For myself,  I don't spend money just because.  Feeling passionate about a specific cause, local business for example, of course.  If I choose to.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio. Our local medical expert answering questions on TV says there is very little chance of contracting the virus from the mail. I wash my hands after I open the mail and I certainly bring it in the house. I think I've always done that.
Honored Contributor

She called her Dr.  She'd just (a matter of 2 or so weeks) been to several of her Drs for various reasons (not sickness).

The Dr was aware of how healthy she'd just been and she described everything to her (Dr)and the Dr said not to come in because it would use up the testing equipment that they had.

He told her he was sure she did have the virus.  She said she talked to the people she was with and they had the virus.  They were told the same thing she was.  Don't come in unless you have trouble breathing where it's dangerous.

These are very healthy (otherwise) physically fit 30 somethings.  They don't smoke and drink a little socially.

The Drs don't want people to use up the equipment unless they really need to come in.

Yes, she definitely had the virus.  She still struggles with the weight on her chest but it isn't causing her to not be able to breathe.

If she went and had it tested she'd be using up equipment that needs to be for people who would probably end up in the hospital.

My daughter said all she could think about was if she got tested and used up some equipment then I got it or her Godmother (who's my best friend and my age) got it and didn't have the equipment she would be devestated knowing she'd used it when it wasn't necessary.

That's the kind of person my daughter is.