Respected Contributor

Re: Continuing to order, are we helping or hurting?

I am torn on this issue....on the one hand I want the restaurants and employees to be able to earn some money and stay in business.  So we have gotten one take out so far...and I think we will do so in future.  

On the other hand I have thought of what you ladies are saying....are the people truly washing and wearing gloves and so on??  

BUT the grocery store issue is just as "risky" in my mind...people are packed in these stores...and having to go to many of them just trying to get a weeks worth of supplies is very difficult.  And since this virus is passed with people having no symptoms means you might not see/hear anyone coughing sneezing or whatever there but who knows? anyone around you may have it...heck I might have it from going to the stores so much in the past week just trying to find eggs or TP!

Since this stuff is so contagious I am thinking it's just a matter of time...which isn't a nice thought BUT I am so hopeful in these medications they are testing out that show such promise and the company working on a antibodies treatment (Dr. Jacob Glanville) which he said once injected would work in 20mins.  I found this just so amazing.

Also they are saying most that do get it will not have fatal results...(thank goodness) but still we would all desire and want zero fatal outcomes for all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@depglass ............what worker wants to be laid off?  What earthly reason would that be?

Why is your daughter apprehensive that her company wont shut down?

I must be dense or something I dont understand.

Life goes on.

Exposing yourself to the risk of infection.

While many businesses are ordered to be shut down, some are not

Her daughter is in that catagory.  

So someone who works in retail doesn't have to go to work because of closings doesn't have to worry about coming in contact with someone infected.

Her daughter does.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read all the post yet so if this has been asked I apologize. For those not ordering take out from restaurants when you go to the grocery store do you avoid the bakery, lunch meat, hamburger, fish, pork, etc. Yes you may cook some of it but you still touch it unless you are wearing gloves.

Honored Contributor

For those of you still eating food from restaurants: no matter how strict the sanitary rules are, people do things without even realizing they are doing them. Shortly before all this started, I was ordering something from a deli counter where the clerk was wearing gloves. She flicked some hair that had escaped her hair net out of her eyes with a gloved hand so I asked her to change her glove and told her why. She denied touching her hair and I honestly think it was a reflex she wasn't conscious of. I've observed things like this fairly often. And then there is not being able to resist touching their filthy cell phones. Do you think they all immediately go wash their hands after looking at their texts?
Honored Contributor

I'm surely not ordering for the sake of ordering. RIght now, I'm more concerned with obtaining the essentials of daily living than I am pretty much anything on offer her or, for that matter, at Amazon. I'm hopeful there will be a time when a new bag or shoes seems like a good idea, but right now, it's all about food, paper towels and toilet paper, ridicuous as that seems in what, until this debacle, was not a 3rd world country...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

We will continue to order food from our small, family-owned neighborhood restaurants. We order and pay over the phone, pick it up, bring it home, wash hands, transfer from carton to our own dishes, wash hands again, reheat, and enjoy! There is an extremely low risk of virus transmission if you follow this procedure. 

Remember, even if you pick up the virus germs on your hands, you won't get infected unless you touch your face without washing your hands, allowing the virus into your body though your eyes or nose. Of course, that being said, I totally respect people who are staying out of the public completely! I hope everyone stays healthy! 

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Did your daughter ever get tested, to see if she actually, has covid-19? 

I have a couple of co-workers, that are currently out, with, the influenza strain that's going around, but, it's definitely not, Covid-19. The symptoms, though, are, very similiar. They were tested, because, they're both in health care, and there was real concern, for people they might have infected, before they were symptomatic.  I think everyone expected  them to test positive; luckily, they didn't! 

Not good, they have the flu, but, they and their families, could be given anti viral med's.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
I'm not buying any food other people have prepared. How do you know someone didn't cough or sneeze into it? How do you know how well they have washed their hands? And so many restaurants have "Employees must wash hands before returning to work" signs in rest rooms but they have to touch the door handle to get out of the rest room! YUK. I'm not trusting anyone else with food prep.

@Pearlee   I feel the same way....yet I also feel bad for all of those wonderful restautants in my community.  There are a lot of new ones that just opened but I can't bring myself to order.  All it takes is one sloppy infected employee...

Honored Contributor

As far as QVC goes, if it's free shipping, I click Speed-Buy so fast it will make one's head spin!   For example:  I ordered 3 sets of Philosophy's 64 oz. duo shower gel because it has free shipping.  Besides the price being pretty much 1/2 off, I also saved $25 per set, which would have been the approximate shipping cost.  So...yes, if I can take advantage of serious savings on my favorite products, I'm all in!

On Amazon, our ordering has remained the same, but we do find ourselves picking up things we would normally buy at the store.  For example, we just stocked up on spices.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Like always, I still order things we need, and those that have a function. The restaurant industry or it's workers aren't losing a thing from me, personally. Now my wife?  Can't remember the last time I ate anyone's fast food, and it's been a few years since I ate inside any restaurant.

As far as your daughter's situation? I think each individual has to weigh their own risks, what I do should have little to no bearing on their decision. That's my philosophy.

hckynut

hckynut(john)