Honored Contributor

Continuing to order, are we helping or hurting?

I have kept up my normal ordering pattern from QVC and Amazon.  On one side, I'm keeping the company going, on the other, I'm keeping some shipping worker at work that might want to be laid off.  I read yesterday Amazon went on double pay for overtime.  I have a daughter that works for an Amazon supplier.  They won't shut down and she is apprehensive.  So I'm really torn.

Respected Contributor

Re: Continuing to order, are we helping or hurting?

I understand completely.  I just ordered from DSW.  I have an order pending with Penzeys.  We are thinking we really need to go to a drive through or carry out from some of our local restaurants to support them and the workers during this difficult time. 

But I do have mixed feelings about it.  Am I helping or creating problems for the workers???

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I'm not buying any food other people have prepared. How do you know someone didn't cough or sneeze into it? How do you know how well they have washed their hands? And so many restaurants have "Employees must wash hands before returning to work" signs in rest rooms but they have to touch the door handle to get out of the rest room! YUK. I'm not trusting anyone else with food prep.
Respected Contributor

I think we need support businesses that continue to remain open so that they continue to thrive or our economy is really going to be in the toliet.  I can also sympathize with workers that feel they need to choose between health concerns and a paycheck.  

Honored Contributor

@depglassI am starting at home with protecting myself -  and hoping that works to protect those around me in some way.

I am not ordering anything just to provide business -  there are millions of people still working, still out there supplying us with meds, food, power, government offices, police protection, etc.

Right now I'm counting on their needs to being taken care of. -- The grocery clerk protects the police, the pharmacist is there for the doctor's receptionist, the food delivery woman feeds the kids studying at the kitchen table of her neighbors, etc.  

I live in a working community here in Florida and that's exactly what's going on -  I feel no guilt for removing myself as much as possible from contact with the external world.  Staying healthy feels like the best thing I can do at this time to help everyone around me.

Honored Contributor

We're all facing problems whether or not those are business related. The ultimate goal is to prevent the spread of the virus for now. But in this fight we have to make choices, some personal and some not so much, and in doing so I find there must be balance somewhere in the middle where infection control meets sustaining our lives with food and essentials. That part takes thought and planning which is different for each of us.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee 

This was a question on the Today show this morning, cooked food is fine, cooking kills the germs and if you unsure microwave it for 30 seconds.

I am supporting local businesses by ordering in twice a week

@Pearlee wrote:
I'm not buying any food other people have prepared. How do you know someone didn't cough or sneeze into it? How do you know how well they have washed their hands? And so many restaurants have "Employees must wash hands before returning to work" signs in rest rooms but they have to touch the door handle to get out of the rest room! YUK. I'm not trusting anyone else with food prep.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I share your concerns.  As I wrote in another post, our condo building is discouraging deliveries.  But I fear for the economy as much as for the virus.  Shutting down an entire country for an indefinite period of time could be devastating.  I did order today from DSW because the deal was so good.  But I have cut down my ordering and shopping for non-essentials in general.  We will be supporting our local restaurants especially small, mom and pop places, with take out.  I will take reasonable precautions but l cannot worry about every possible germ.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are doing no take out or delivery of food. No way.

I go to the grocery store, get what we need, and come  home. To be honest, I would feel uncomfortable using delivery services unless my personal circumstances deemed it necessary.  There are always exceptions certainly. 

I feel horrible that people are putting themselves potentially in harms way so that I can order from the safety of my house. My intelligent mind understands that people want to be employed and we need to keep the economy going. I get it.  But the emotional part of mind feels extremely guilty if I have someone deliver food to my house if I am able to go get it myself.  Again, if I am able to get it myself. 

As for shopping from Amazon, I am trying to stay out of their way for awhile so they can contentrate on shipping and delivering things that are actually needed to sustain health and not my random, fun purchases. Now, if I needed something life sustaining, I would order Immediately. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

As I said on another thread, I am buying now.  I am hoping it will help offset some of the financial hardship for the employees.