Honored Contributor

Re: Continued Worker Shortage

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I went to the dentist the other day my hygienist said there was a dentist shortage and that they were having difficulties getting their staffing up again after having to lay off many of their professionals due to the pandemic. This is a fairly large dental office with a previous staff of a dozen dentists. Now they are down to four dentists. The wait time to get an appointment now is months when before it was only weeks. Of course emergencies will take priority but it's still a bad situation.

Serious question. What happened to all the dentists? Did they die? Leave the country? Retire?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has  been so hard to get meaningful data about how things are progressing as far as a recovery for our country from this pandemic. Just when it seems things are improving, there will be a headline that there were hundreds who died in the past month who were in their twenties or thirties...and even a middle aged teacher who died a week after getting her booster shot. What they didn't disclose until a month later was that each of these people had underlying health conditions, such as diabetes, kidney disease, heart conditions, etc. How can we possibly know our real status as a country if the data trickles out in a drip and isn't complete? Our state discontinued the unemployment as did many others....it saved millions that our state is now using for enforcement at our southern most border.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I went to the dentist the other day my hygienist said there was a dentist shortage and that they were having difficulties getting their staffing up again after having to lay off many of their professionals due to the pandemic. This is a fairly large dental office with a previous staff of a dozen dentists. Now they are down to four dentists. The wait time to get an appointment now is months when before it was only weeks. Of course emergencies will take priority but it's still a bad situation.

Serious question. What happened to all the dentists? Did they die? Leave the country? Retire?

@Porcelain 

I didn't ask but good question. I suspect career changes, retirement and lack of incoming interns. I wouldn't want a job like that especially now.  

Honored Contributor

Porcelain,

My guess is that those who were near, at or over retirement age decided to take the leap and retire. 

When looking a deadly virus in the mouth, so to speak, no material or reputational gains are worth the risk.  Multiple prophylactic measures still leave those exposed to the COVID-19 virus on edge and worried, I would think.

Younger dentists may have moved into teaching dentistry in order to have fewer direct contacts with oral cavities.

Just a guess...

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy You state, correctly, that the U.S. prohibits hiring people that are in this country illegally.

I have to inform you, however, that there are many, many employers across this country--north, south, east, and west that do so and varied business categories.

And, usually, though it is risky, these employers get away with it.  

Undocumented employees are very afraid to complain or protest any unfair, illegal treatment.

Industries that routinely engage in this are employers in the hospitality and leisure industries, like restaurants, non or small chain motels, golf courses . . . 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

It is no longer as easy as you make it out to be.  

@CrazyDaisy  Yes it is.  You don't know what I know.

I know that any business that does not follow the proper reporting requirements are subject to huge fines.  So if know companies are breaking the law, why would you allow them to continue to take advantage of people and not turn them in to the proper authorities.  Seems like you my be condoning the practice if you allow it to continue.

@CrazyDaisy  Not a clue about what you're talking about.  Let's recap:

YES, those companies are breaking the law; they do it anyway.  There are others who know this and agree with my statement.  We know what we can see.

I won't be hiring any illegals, as I don't own a place of business.

By all means,  lets recap.  You cannot put an employee on payroll without proper docunentation.  The social security numbers are run through government databases to verify identity.  Work papers are verified through immigration.  So, people are either working with stolen identy documentation or under the table and not subject to taxes.  IMO, anyone knowingly condoning (either involved or turning your back) these illegal activities need to be prosecuted.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy You state, correctly, that the U.S. prohibits hiring people that are in this country illegally.

I have to inform you, however, that there are many, many employers across this country--north, south, east, and west that do so and varied business categories.

And, usually, though it is risky, these employers get away with it.  

Undocumented employees are very afraid to complain or protest any unfair, illegal treatment.

Industries that routinely engage in this are employers in the hospitality and leisure industries, like restaurants, non or small chain motels, golf courses . . . 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

It is no longer as easy as you make it out to be.  

@CrazyDaisy  Yes it is.  You don't know what I know.

I know that any business that does not follow the proper reporting requirements are subject to huge fines.  So if know companies are breaking the law, why would you allow them to continue to take advantage of people and not turn them in to the proper authorities.  Seems like you my be condoning the practice if you allow it to continue.

@CrazyDaisy  Not a clue about what you're talking about.  Let's recap:

YES, those companies are breaking the law; they do it anyway.  There are others who know this and agree with my statement.  We know what we can see.

I won't be hiring any illegals, as I don't own a place of business.

By all means,  lets recap.  You cannot put an employee on payroll without proper docunentation.  The social security numbers are run through government databases to verify identity.  Work papers are verified through immigration.  So, people are either working with stolen identy documentation or under the table and not subject to taxes.  IMO, anyone knowingly condoning (either involved or turning your back) these illegal activities need to be prosecuted.  

@CrazyDaisy 

Who said anything about payroll?  I'm done.  Everybody and their father knows this goes on except YOU.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Changed my mind, not done yet...

Any lawn workers care about payrolls?  Some of them have their own businesses where I live.

Any illegals concerned about paperwork when they're doing construction work?  Not from what I can see.

The pizza flipper or delivery guy....does he care about paperwork?  Should he be concerned?  I don't think so. 

Guess what they all have in common @CrazyDaisy

Go.......

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

There are several industries that pay workers under the table. Agriculture, restaurants, construction, and to a certain extent hospitality, are infamous for it.

No one pops out of the woodwork to make you prove you've checked citizenship paperwork and OSHA conditions when you hire a babysitter. Same situation when you pay workers under the table.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Changed my mind, not done yet...

Any lawn workers care about payrolls?  Some of them have their own businesses where I live.

Any illegals concerned about paperwork when they're doing construction work?  Not from what I can see.

The pizza flipper or delivery guy....does he care about paperwork?  Should he be concerned?  I don't think so. 

Guess what they all have in common @CrazyDaisy

Go.......

As I have said many times,  anyone who is not in the country legally cannot hold a job legally.  Anyone breaking the law or condoning the practice need to be prosecuted.  Employers need to care and so do the customers.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

There are several industries that pay workers under the table. Agriculture, restaurants, construction, and to a certain extent hospitality, are infamous for it.

No one pops out of the woodwork to make you prove you've checked citizenship paperwork and OSHA conditions when you hire a babysitter. Same situation when you pay workers under the table.

Oh my! Yes the Immigration Service does come out of the woodwork.

As I was leaving my hometown to move  the Very Nice Officers conducted a raid on my neighbors in the nice suburban development.

7 adults and 5 children in one home. Very nice high end imported cars. They shut two businesses they operated.

I've lived and worked in Detroit. You will see vehicles every single day on I 94. Very pretty green and white. Always very busy!