Esteemed Contributor

Re: Continued Worker Shortage

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy You state, correctly, that the U.S. prohibits hiring people that are in this country illegally.

I have to inform you, however, that there are many, many employers across this country--north, south, east, and west that do so and varied business categories.

And, usually, though it is risky, these employers get away with it.  

Undocumented employees are very afraid to complain or protest any unfair, illegal treatment.

Industries that routinely engage in this are employers in the hospitality and leisure industries, like restaurants, non or small chain motels, golf courses . . . 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

It is no longer as easy as you make it out to be.  

Non-partisan data says 7,500,000 undocumented immigrants are working in the United States, mostly in agriculture, construction, and the hospitality industry. In 2014, there were just 1,100,000.

Guess since they know where they are it should be simple enough to shut down these illegal activities.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

Exactly!!  Perhaps people shouldn't be having families they can't afford and expect us to pay for them.

What "people" are you talking about? Childcare is expensive for middle class families with good jobs too. Surely you don't think there should be a wage cutoff for having children or a limit on how many children can be in a family. That would be extremely intrusive.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Sheesh!

Like intrusive mandates would ever happen here?

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Sheesh!

Like intrusive mandates would ever happen here?

I guess everyone has their own pet mandates, don't they? You want to boss me around on certain things and I want to boss you around on completely different things. No one is innocent of wanting things their own way. And if they claim otherwise, they're either a candidate for sainthood and are certainly not posting on social media, or they're not looking at their own motivation very closely.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

Exactly!!  Perhaps people shouldn't be having families they can't afford and expect us to pay for them.

What "people" are you talking about? Childcare is expensive for middle class families with good jobs too. Surely you don't think there should be a wage cutoff for having children or a limit on how many children can be in a family. That would be extremely intrusive.

No I don't expect that. I limited my family to what I could afford with a lot of belt tighting!

I'm referring to people who keep having kids they can't afford and expect the tax payers to pay for them.