Valued Contributor

Re: Continued Worker Shortage

@IrishScorp wrote:

The worker shortage is worldwide though. I don't see how bringing "foreigners" to the US help.

There are no worker shortages in most parts of central America, Haiti, most areas of Mexico, and many more places around the world, both near and far. In fact, there are no jobs.

In summary,  the worker shortage is not worldwide.

Respected Contributor

@wagirlWhat is a "living wage"?  Want to earn more money, vote with your feet to another employer OR move up the ladder with the current employer.

When there were more jobs available than people looking for work, employers had to be creative with wages, benefits, etc. to attract and hold their work force.  Now that the government is paying people to stay home, who wants to work for any wage.

Trusted Contributor

Ugh. The "govenment" doesn't pay anyone to stay home.

Should we say the same about seniors who receive SS and Medicare? Is that also paying people to stay home?

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy   Providing a living wage doesn't lower the bar it gives an individual the means to provide for self with some dignity and decency and to climb the ladder instead of plunging into the abyss they can't hope to otherwise escape.

Pulling oneself by the bootstraps doesn't preclude offering a helping hand from one or more sources.  Encouragement and helping to preserve and enhance a worker's dignity enchances everbody else's quality of life.

aroc343

Washington, DC

Lower paying jobs are starter jobs not a person's life work.  Hard work, sacrifice and dedication to better oneself is "dignity and decency".  Whining that you want more money because you don't have enough and don't want to do anything else is absurd.  Provide more opportunities for people to better themselves, don't pay them to stay mediocre.  That is lowering the bar.

@CrazyDaisy 

These low paying jobs can and are be life long jobs for people who will not be able to do much better in life.  Think of the many disabled who work hard to hold down a job with integrity.  Their work skills will be limited.  No one said they should earn the wage of a physician if that's not what they are skilled at.  It's not as simple as you make it sound.

Think of the elderly who need to supplement their retirement with part time work because their retirement isn't cutting it due to inflation?

Of course, some of these jobs must remain around.  We need a fair balance in the work force.  Everyone can't be a Chief.  We need some worker bees too or else where will we be? Only in an ideal world (Utopia) would what you describe can be true.

The elderly and disabled recieve money from the Federal government from various programs, as they should.   These entry level jobs are there for people to get work experience and supplement other income, not raise a family of 4.  

@CrazyDaisy 

Yes, they do, but it's not enough.  Thus, the reason for needing work.  Have you ever heard of the "working poor?"

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

The shoe is on the other foot right now.  Employers do not have the upper hand any more.  They can't treat their employees with disrespect, low wages, working overtime but not pay for it, etc.,etc.,  In my area The employers that had always paid better, treated employees well, benefits had no problem retaining their workers or hiring.  Many other businesses lost employees, people switched careers/professions because they had had enough.  I believe $15 should be a base /starting pay.  The federal wage hasn't been raised what since 2009?  Though I am retired now, I never made $15p/h in any of my jobs. I do not begrudge workers now that should be making it.  I don't begrudge people being able to save for a car or schooling, pay their bills, or put food on the table for their families.  Just because I didn't have it, doesn't mean others should not have it now.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy You state, correctly, that the U.S. prohibits hiring people that are in this country illegally.

I have to inform you, however, that there are many, many employers across this country--north, south, east, and west that do so and varied business categories.

And, usually, though it is risky, these employers get away with it.  

Undocumented employees are very afraid to complain or protest any unfair, illegal treatment.

Industries that routinely engage in this are employers in the hospitality and leisure industries, like restaurants, non or small chain motels, golf courses . . . 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy You state, correctly, that the U.S. prohibits hiring people that are in this country illegally.

I have to inform you, however, that there are many, many employers across this country--north, south, east, and west that do so and varied business categories.

Undocumented employees are very afraid to complain or protest any unfair, illegal treatment.

Industries that routinely engage in this are employers in the hospitality and leisure industries, like restaurants, non or small chain motels, golf courses . . . 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

It is no longer as easy as you make it out to be.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy   Providing a living wage doesn't lower the bar it gives an individual the means to provide for self with some dignity and decency and to climb the ladder instead of plunging into the abyss they can't hope to otherwise escape.

Pulling oneself by the bootstraps doesn't preclude offering a helping hand from one or more sources.  Encouragement and helping to preserve and enhance a worker's dignity enchances everbody else's quality of life.

aroc343

Washington, DC

Lower paying jobs are starter jobs not a person's life work.  Hard work, sacrifice and dedication to better oneself is "dignity and decency".  Whining that you want more money because you don't have enough and don't want to do anything else is absurd.  Provide more opportunities for people to better themselves, don't pay them to stay mediocre.  That is lowering the bar.

@CrazyDaisy 

These low paying jobs can and are be life long jobs for people who will not be able to do much better in life.  Think of the many disabled who work hard to hold down a job with integrity.  Their work skills will be limited.  No one said they should earn the wage of a physician if that's not what they are skilled at.  It's not as simple as you make it sound.

Think of the elderly who need to supplement their retirement with part time work because their retirement isn't cutting it due to inflation?

Of course, some of these jobs must remain around.  We need a fair balance in the work force.  Everyone can't be a Chief.  We need some worker bees too or else where will we be? Only in an ideal world (Utopia) would what you describe can be true.

The elderly and disabled recieve money from the Federal government from various programs, as they should.   These entry level jobs are there for people to get work experience and supplement other income, not raise a family of 4.  

@CrazyDaisy 

Yes, they do, but it's not enough.  Thus, the reason for needing work.  Have you ever heard of the "working poor?"

What is "enough"?  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

The shoe is on the other foot right now.  Employers do not have the upper hand any more.  They can't treat their employees with disrespect, low wages, working overtime but not pay for it, etc.,etc.,  In my area The employers that had always paid better, treated employees well, benefits had no problem retaining their workers or hiring.  Many other businesses lost employees, people switched careers/professions because they had had enough.  I believe $15 should be a base /starting pay.  The federal wage hasn't been raised what since 2009?  Though I am retired now, I never made $15p/h in any of my jobs. I do not begrudge workers now that should be making it.  I don't begrudge people being able to save for a car or schooling, pay their bills, or put food on the table for their families.  Just because I didn't have it, doesn't mean others should not have it now.

This right here!!!!

It's not the first or last time in our country's history that we fall in to recessions and inflationary periods. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

aroc3435

Washington, DC

It is no longer as easy as you make it out to be.  

@CrazyDaisy  Yes it is.  You don't know what I know.