Honored Contributor

Re: Continued Worker Shortage

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Could this have something to do with the 700,000 people who have died?

Since most of the deaths occurred in an age group that had very few in the workforce, I do not think it had a huge impact.  

Where are you getting statistics on that conclusion?

@mom2four0418   Most people who passed from Covid were over 80 years old.  Most in their working years who came down with it survived.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Since most of the deaths occurred in an age group that had very few in the workforce, I do not think it had a huge impact.  

CDC website.....roughly 75% were 65 and older.  No statistics of those younger than 65  and in poor heath who may have been out of the workforce.

I am referring to your conclusion that very few were in the workforce.

Common sense.  The normal retirement age is roughly 60 -70.    While there are some who continue to work it is a very small percentage of that age group.  It would  hope at some point the information will be available as to how many of these deaths occurred in nursing homes.  Those facilities got slammed.  My brother works at one and he thinks they lost about half of them.  Need to find ways to better protect them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

The pandemic truly changed everything. I just saw a survey a few weeks ago that compared states who had eliminated unemployment benefits early on with those who did not until September 1 and there was literally no difference in the employment rate. 

The gist was that dropping unemployment benefits did nothing to encourage people to return.  Personally I think a lot of women dropped out because childcare is so expensive and they learned from the months being at home there's a lot of things that they actually could live without. 

@Bhvbum  I had a distinct feeling that this was not the cause for worker shortage.  Some cried foul and accused many of not wanting to work.  We see that's not true.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

CDC website.....roughly 75% were 65 and older.  No statistics of those younger than 65  and in poor heath who may have been out of the workforce.

Common sense.  The normal retirement age is roughly 60 -70.    While there are some who continue to work it is a very small percentage of that age group.  It would  hope at some point the information will be available as to how many of these deaths occurred in nursing homes.  Those facilities got slammed.  My brother works at one and he thinks they lost about half of them.  Need to find ways to better protect them.

Your brother "thinks" they lost half of their residents.  Should be easy to figure out.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@On It   I'm responding, after reading the posts up to now.  The pandemic exposed a real problem that has been roiling under the surface for at least sixty years in the United States.

Who picks the produce that you buy in the supermarkets?  And by what method/ how much are they paid--by the piece ? By the basket? By how much they pick in an hour?  Can they get their children educated while they are working the fields and following the various crops around the country?  Where are they living?  Are their children out in the fields picking to supplement the meager wages of their parents?  

What about those that stock the shelves, cash you out, work security at the grocery store--how much do you think they are paid.  Do many of them work more than one job since many are hired deliberately just below full time so that they are not entitled to receive benefits?

Should parents, especially single mothers, have to pay one half of their gross wages for daycare so they can go to work?  But the actual directly involved employees who watch those children (not the upline office managers/directors) work long hours and for very little and it is not reflected in their hourly wage.

Those employed in nursing homes, therapuetic/ rehabiliation/wellness centers do they get compensated enough to have a decent level of living?

In the restaurants, how many are forced to work more hours than they are paid for?  How many of them are forced to take a job in that industry where part, and sometimes all, of their wages are "off the books" and do these employees dare blow the whistle?  Do they even know how to?

Thinks of maids and bellhops in hotels.  Think of ticket takers and ushers in theatres.

There is no huge shortage of workers at large, except that certain segments of our society would never consider employment in these categories.  

Others who have been employed in these jobs are trying to get improved--much improved--living wages and/or are trying for a better scale different kind of employment where they don't have to work two or three jobs and have to juggle multiple shift changes weekly.

Anyway that is my informed opinion, refined over years of study and actual voluntary "boots on the ground" involvement in reforming this sector of the working poor in America.  A living wage improves business while lifting up its employees.  Everyone in the community benefits and the businesses do benefit as well.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Excellent @aroc3435 .  I don't think I could have relayed these points better!  One situation affects another which has a ripple effect.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@On It   I agree big time that affordable child care would make a difference.  I wish I thought the minds with the political power were actually working to find a way to make that happen.  This is not a new problem - as far back as the 1960s when I finished my undergraduate degree and went to work, my choices were already slim and expensive.  I am cynical enough to think they know what needs to be done, but don't have the political will to do it.

Fine. Make child care affordable for the parents but don't make me pay for your kids. You had them you pay for them. 

You just told us you haven't worked since 1998. What taxes are you paying for someone else's child care? who covered your health insurance from the age of 58 to 65? You are speaking from a position of priviledge and you don't even know it.

This is an American problem.  Privilege.  The problem with this is those who believe they are more privilege than their neighbor usually are not. 

The truly privileged are nowhere discussing these issues.

Valued Contributor

I know several people quite well that received the expanded unemployment benefits.

Two of them have told me candidly that they received more on unemployment than they were making before, and with none of the expense of going to work, they have saved enough to "coast" until after the first of the year. They both expect that they will have no problem finding a job when they are ready. 

Now with the expanded child payments, they are in no hurry to get back into the grind.

This is a very small sample size, and I have no idea if this is a typical situation for many. In a way, I can see their point, but I know that these jobs need to be filled in order for the economy to function.

The temporary immigration work visa sounds like a good idea to me.

Trusted Contributor

Re the cost of childcare, Everyone knows before they have a child how much child care costs. So I don’t understand the complaining about it. It has always been expensive. Low wage earners commonly get government assistance with their childcare.
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Your brother "thinks" they lost half of their residents.  Should be easy to figure out.

They have several facilities and were moving people around trying to separate those with covid from those that didn't.  Once things started opening up and people returned to the assigned facility/rooms about half the rooms were empty.  No way of knowing what happened to all of them that were there pre covid.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I personally know of two nursing homes that were filled before with waiting lists and are now 50 to 60 percent full.