Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Continued Worker Shortage

I’ve read several articles on this topic recently and it is clear that this is a multilayered problem. One glaring factor is that over 710,000 people have died in this pandemic which equates to almost three quarters of a million shattered families. Many who died were frontline workers themselves or caring for their grandchildren while their children worked low wage jobs etc. 

Also, we can’t overlook the fact that many, many people are long haulers suffering with serious side effects that continue to make it impossible to work as before. I have a niece, single parent of two young children, whose life has been totally derailed by what was considered only a moderate case. She used to be a bundle of energy, worked two jobs, and now has shortness of breath and other symptoms just moving about her apartment. She is very depressed and unable to get any real handle on if or when her condition will improve. It was very upsetting to her when the public was talking about all the lazy people milking the system.

Also, workers in healthcare are leaving in high numbers particularly since the pandemic is still circulating across the country. Coupled with exhaustion, fear and sacrifice, they are now being threatened and bullied in certain parts of the country. The examples I read about were horrifying and disgraceful. Where is the outrage?  Until this virus is sufficiently quashed I think we will be in this position for quite some time.

Honored Contributor

I have been getting fliers in the mail almost daily looking for workers to hire at area businesses. 

Respected Contributor

@millieshops I believe affordable childcare will bring some people back, but not all. Larger companies could provide onsite childcare as part of their benefit package. Restaurants and other businesses may need to form cooperatives where workers can enroll children at reduced rates eliminating the need for a "for profit" situation. Surely someone smarter than me and certainly more powerful can think of solutions and implement them. Everything seems stuck in a rut and no one wants to change the status quo.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Raising wages for many business is simply not an option.  Many run on very low margins and higher wages will only lead to higher prices.  Continued inflation will bring many back into the job market to help pay expenses.

Not every small business deserves to make it.  

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

What is the thinking about not enough truck drivers, on the road  ,that is one reason given for lack of items in the market place ,and dock workers also,where did the workers go to?

I think they found other jobs or retired. The baby boomers are pretty much all eligible for retirement and this pandemic pushed them to do that. I know partners in large firms who retired during the pandemic. A lot of people realized how fragile life can be and quit.

Honored Contributor

@On It   I agree big time that affordable child care would make a difference.  I wish I thought the minds with the political power were actually working to find a way to make that happen.  This is not a new problem - as far back as the 1960s when I finished my undergraduate degree and went to work, my choices were already slim and expensive.  I am cynical enough to think they know what needs to be done, but don't have the political will to do it.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 

Excellent thoughts!

Esteemed Contributor

I am a baby boomer and I got laid off in 2014 at the age of 58. I was so done with the bs of corporate America I never went back to work. And even today, yes I could get a job but do I want one? A big fat no. I don't want to deal with the drama, driving, corporate politics, people etc. and I'm sure that's where lots of people are. 

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@On It   I agree big time that affordable child care would make a difference.  I wish I thought the minds with the political power were actually working to find a way to make that happen.  This is not a new problem - as far back as the 1960s when I finished my undergraduate degree and went to work, my choices were already slim and expensive.  I am cynical enough to think they know what needs to be done, but don't have the political will to do it.

Fine. Make child care affordable for the parents but don't make me pay for your kids. You had them you pay for them. 

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest Perhaps many stayed in their own country due to the difficulty in getting work visas?