Honored Contributor

Contacted Governor to suspend lotteries

[ Edited ]

I emailed FL Governor's office asking for a temporary suspension of the state lotteries. Some people feel the necessity to make unnecessary trips to buy their tickets,  putting others in harms way. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Contacted Givernor to suspend lotteries

TPTB in FL wouldn't even close ALL of their beaches to the horde of Spring Break crowds, I doubt they'll worry about people buying lottery tickets.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

TPTB in FL wouldn't even close ALL of their beaches to the horde of Spring Break crowds, I doubt they'll worry about people buying lottery tickets.

I'm not sure what the Governor's legal ability to close beaches is under a state of emergency. I'm only guessing whether he has the power to suspend the lotteries. Local communities, I.e, cities and counties, should have closed those beaches. I'm fuming over this. Clearwater Beach makes me want to scream.

Honored Contributor

I've been buying our tickets for 7 days at a time, when I venture out to grocery shop. All done in one trip.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

You emailed him about suspending the lottery?  I'm sure he has other pressing matters to worry about than the lottery.

Honored Contributor

Re: Contacted Governor to suspend lotteries

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  I seriously doubt if there are that many doing that and even a quick trip to get a few tickets is not that bad.  There are way more going to pick up takeouts waiting in lines so it would make more sense to say only delivery take out than stop selling lottery tickets!  Also if he couldn't/wouldn't close beaches from the huge crowds that are still there he (or more than likely a clerical worker) surely won't do anything but probably get a chuckle from such an email.

Also, the mayor of (I think it was Miami) was just interviewed on the View and he stated he had no authority to close beaches. 

Esteemed Contributor

How exactly would you enforce closing the beaches anyway.  Aren't there lots of pathways to get to the beach?  It would take a lot of man power to patrol all the beaches.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

That's like I heard some states are closing their borders. How in the heck would you enforce that?

Respected Contributor

Oh, good grief.

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure the governor of Florida has bigger problems to deal with.  People going to the local convenience store for their lottery tickets probably isn't high on that list right now.