Esteemed Contributor

Re: Contact lens - monthly vs daily

Yes.  I switched almost 10 years ago and would not go back.  Factor in the cost of solution and cleanser, not to mention the inconvenience of having to allow a specified amount of time for cleansing.  I don't even remember how that whole process is done.

I find them extremely comfortable, as they are very thin.  I've gone from rigid gas permeable to soft monthlies, and now dailies.  I plan to continue with the dailies.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes.  I switched almost 10 years ago and would not go back.  Factor in the cost of solution and cleanser, not to mention the inconvenience of having to allow a specified amount of time for cleansing.  I don't even remember how that whole process is done.

I find them extremely comfortable, as they are very thin.  I've gone from rigid gas permeable to soft monthlies, and now dailies.  I plan to continue with the dailies.

Great, thanks for your feedback.  I'm waiting to get some trial pairs from the optical store and go from there.  I'm curious to see what they ordered me because I've been unable to find an exact match to my Rx in any brand of dailies.  I'm assuming they ordered me something close to try.  I wonder if it will affect the comfort and/or vision. 

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx I switched to dailies two years ago and will never go back!  However, I have always had dry eye problems which made my contacts uncomfortable and even a little blurry by late afternoon or early evening.  The dailies don't get dry and uncomfortable.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have them both. I lean towards preferring the daily lenses, even though I think I get just a tad better correction with the monthly ones. I wear Clariti 1 Day Multifocal's for daily use. They're extremely comfortable and you don't have to mess with a case or solution or any of that stuff. They do dry out though, so I carry a couple of the single use sterile drops in my pocket when I wear them. My monthly lenses are Bausch & Lomb Pure Vision II Multifocal lenses. I see a tiny bit better with them, but honestly, they don't really last a month. The last week they feel pretty scratchy. 

A 90 day supply of the B&L lenses costs me about $60. A 90 day supply of the Clariti lenses is about $90.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

When I wore contacts I loved the dailies. I found the clensing stuff burned my eyes, and it was a royal pain to have to clean the lenses.

I got a good price from 1-800 contacts.

Honored Contributor

I have worn monthly contacts for years and like them, last check up I went to a new place and the doc would only order contacts you wear for 2 weeks. I liked them at first, but they really don't last 2 weeks and they too are more expensive than the monthly. I don't wear contacts everyday anyway and could afford the daily, but I like my colored monthly. Going back to my old optometrist this check up who will give me my monthly back.

Respected Contributor

I wore two-week contacts for over 15 years. Very satisfied. Last year, however, I started needing to rub my eyes a lot, they scratched, snd I was sure contacts were defective. I went to optometrist and after checkup said I must have developed slight allergy to latex in contacts. Had me try dailies and problem solved.
It is much more expensive. Easy to use but I didn’t have issue with 14 day products. Personally I would keep less expensive option if satisfied.
Esteemed Contributor

My sister told me she heard that they were trying to get everyone to go with dailies. Not sure who the “they” is, but I hope that is not the case. I wear monthly lenses with no problems.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I have dry eyes and sensitive eyes.  I always needed to use a cleaners without all the additives and chemicals which are not cheap.  I had to clean my contacts freq. not just leave them in saline all night.

I switched to dailies years ago and have never looked back.  I can wear my contacts 12+ hours a day with no dryness, strain, irritation or fatigue.

Respected Contributor

I wear Dailies.

I don't think there is a conspiracy to force a person to use Dailies, Monthly or 2-Week lenses. 

Just use which ever lens you want but follow the rules as to cleaning, wear schedules, replacement schedule.