Respected Contributor

Contact lens - monthly vs daily

Have any of you switched from monthly lenses to daily?  My optical place and optometrist keep trying to convince me to switch.  They are so expensive.  But I am wondering is there anything different about them?  I mean, I would assume no but who knows.  

Super Contributor

Re: Contact lens - monthly vs daily

Why is your optometrist wanting you to switch to Daily's? Yes, they are more expensive. Do you have infection issues with monthly contacts?

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx  My eye doctor's office just told me thae same thing a few weeks ago.  They gave me a week's worth of samples to try out the dailies and I really like them.  I have not looked at cost yet, but I am leaning towards swithcing.  I won't have to buy cleaning solution, etc.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe the contact lens company's are offering incentives or other to switch patients? 

What is the motive?

Contributor

I've worn contacts for 20 plus years.  I also worked for an optometrist.  As I recall, the selling point for dailies was no cleaning and have a fresh pair each day.  They are more expensive.  I wear monthly lenses with no problems.  To me if you take proper care of them the monthly are fine.  The dr I worked with seldom prescribed dailies, usually only if a patient asked for them.

Respected Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

Maybe the contact lens company's are offering incentives or other to switch patients? 

What is the motive?

They are much more expensive and the optical store thinks I will buy them from there, which I will not because it's cheaper and easier online. 

Respected Contributor

@GabbyAnn wrote:

I've worn contacts for 20 plus years.  I also worked for an optometrist.  As I recall, the selling point for dailies was no cleaning and have a fresh pair each day.  They are more expensive.  I wear monthly lenses with no problems.  To me if you take proper care of them the monthly are fine.  The dr I worked with seldom prescribed dailies, usually only if a patient asked for them.

I've been wearing monthlies for years with no issues. I actully never had a doctor suggest dailies to me.  This last person I saw was very much pushing the idea to me and told me how much better they are and more sanitary etc.  But I am sure they told her to make a sales pitch for increased profit.  It was weird how everyone in the store was suddenly pushing them and they never did before.  Maybe a new company policy or something.  Anyway I really just want to get some for traveling since it's a real pain to travel with the fluid and the case and worry about losing them if I drop them.  And if it works out well for travel, I would consider switching full time.

Occasional Contributor

I use the dailies but I use them for two or three days. It works for me and it does keep the extra cost down . I do like them . Give them a try  

Respected Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

Why is your optometrist wanting you to switch to Daily's? Yes, they are more expensive. Do you have infection issues with monthly contacts?

Nope, no issues whatsoever. I am religiously careful with my procedures for inserting and removing and never had any eye problems.  So it was weird she came out of the blue with the idea.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Sashagirl: "extra cost"? What extra cost? Contact lens solution is pennies/wear vs. buying Daily's.