Honored Contributor

Re: ConsReports Forever Chemicals and Bottled Water

I don't drink bottled water, but good info, @ECBG .  Am hoping the filter we installed on our system is doing a decent job!

Esteemed Contributor

We've never purchased bottled water - ever!  We have received bottled water in hotel rooms we stayed in, or as a "gift" at an event (you know, where an advertiser's name is on the bottle label).  We take them home and put them in our fridge -- our bottom shelf is full right now and I won't toss these bottles in the trash or recycling, so we keep them.  Someday there might be an emergency where we'll need the water... who knows?

We have a filtered water dispenser on our fridge and that is the only water I use when I'm home.  Otherwise, there's always the faucet.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I go through a case every month or two but I save the bottle caps for the benches and recycle the bottles.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't buy bottled water b/c we have very good quality tap water here. But I can understand why some people need to buy it where their water is not good or safe to drink...that's a concern I would have, too, if I was in their shoes.

Respected Contributor

Our tap water unfortunately contains sodium fluoride so we buy bottled.  

I am currently researching whole house filters to remove the halogen.  We have a softener in place but we need to add a filter system.  We moved here recently.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I don't drink bottled water, but good info, @ECBG .  Am hoping the filter we installed on our system is doing a decent job!

@Oznell 

Wasn't that scarey?  When I taught, I was always telling students not to refill those temporary bottles.

We have always had a filter on the complete house!

Valued Contributor

I have a reverse osmosis system and lots of reusable bottles. The tap and plastic bottles are a no go. However; I have some emergency stash of them due to hurricanes. I hate them though.

Respected Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

I have a reverse osmosis system and lots of reusable bottles. The tap and plastic bottles are a no go. However; I have some emergency stash of them due to hurricanes. I hate them though.

What RO system did you select?  Are you happy with it?

Honored Contributor

I go through a lot of bottled water.  We go through 2 cases per week.  My DH works outside so he has no access to water.  He takes 3 bottles per day to work and I drink 6 bottles a day.  Our tap water is nasty.  I do want to buy a water bottle with a filter so I can just fill that.   

I generally buy the store brand of water or whatever is cheapest.    

Contributor

Thank you for sharing this.