Valued Contributor

Congratulations Naomi Osaka!

Naomi won the Australian Open and her second grand slam in a row. What a bright new star for women's tennis. To tell you the truth, I would have been happy if Petra Kvitova had won - I like Naomi and Petra equally well and they are both great ambassadors for women's tennis. And congrats to Naomi for becoming # 1 in the world and to Petra for moving up to # 2. So much depth and  talent in women's tennis right now.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Congratulations Naomi Osaka!

It was an excellent final.  I agree that both ladies deserve to be at the top of the rankings.  Kvitova has had a tough year, so good to see her in competitive shape.  Now on to Roland Garros!

Honored Contributor

In addition to being a great tennis player, Naomi is absolutely delightful!  Glad she was able to really celebrate this win without any distractions.  

Respected Contributor

Glad to see Osaka win another.   She seems like a genuinely nice person...great ambassador for the game.

It will be interesting to see how she handles that clay at Roland Garros.

I hate that there is such a time lapse between the Australian and French.  I wish they could arrange the Majors a bit better.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

I agree ....was so happy Naomi won.....and Petra played beautifully and i wouldn't have been disappointed if she pulled out the win...........both great players..................Just wish CEverett wasn't commentating....wish Chris M. or Mary Jo could do the commentating........they are always more humble and don't seem to favor certain players.......

will be cheering for Rafa tomorrow

Honored Contributor

Very happy to see Naomi doing so well.  Interesting about her - she represents Japan though she lives in Florida.  She was born in Japan to a Haitian father and Japanese mother. 

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I agree ....was so happy Naomi won.....and Petra played beautifully and i wouldn't have been disappointed if she pulled out the win...........both great players..................Just wish CEverett wasn't commentating....wish Chris M. or Mary Jo could do the commentating........they are always more humble and don't seem to favor certain players.......

will be cheering for Rafa tomorrow

Vamos Rafa!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Very happy to see Naomi doing so well.  Interesting about her - she represents Japan though she lives in Florida.  She was born in Japan to a Haitian father and Japanese mother. 

via wikipedia

Although Osaka was raised in the United States, her parents decided that their daughters would represent Japan. They said, "We made the decision that Naomi would represent Japan at an early age. She was born in Osaka and was brought up in a household of Japanese and Haitian culture. Quite simply, Naomi and her sister Mari have always felt Japanese so that was our only rationale. It was never a financially motivated decision nor were we ever swayed either way by any national federation."[7] This decision may have also been motivated by a lack of interest from the United States Tennis Association (USTA) when Naomi was still a young player.[3] The USTA later offered Naomi the opportunity to train at their national training center in Boca Raton when she was 16 years old, but she declined.[7]

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein