Honored Contributor

Re: Congratulations Jessa and Ben!

Lion, I agree, there is hope for her. Maybe some of the younger ones will follow?????

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Contributor

I wonder where they are living...anyone know??? Don't think they have real jobs yet. Did I hear Ben was going to school..that's why he was living with the Duggars??

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 dmod nj said:

Lion, I agree, there is hope for her. Maybe some of the younger ones will follow?????

Hi donna Smile - Out of 19 kids, I have to believe there are more that will push back against the restrictions and control. I'm sure it will happen.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

Do those of you who disagree with their lifestyle watch their show?

All I know about them I read on here or see on a homepage, etc.

Respected Contributor

I have watched the show on occasion. I don't think you need to watch to formulate an opinion on their methods of raising children and the controls they have in place. I watched a re-run of the wedding last weekend even through DH's utter contempt for it and asking more than once how soon would it be over. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

It isn't just about"lifestyle" because none of the kids had any choices. Someone has to take care of the younger children, the laundry, cooking and cleaning. It isn't the children's fault that the work falls to them with what help grandma or mom provide. I'm very glad that they don't show the infant/child punishment methods used to "train" that the parent will be obeyed without question. I'm also glad not to have witnessed what happened to kids who were "reported" on by a sibling. To be punished within the confines of family with their known harsh measures would be most unpleasant to observe.

Even the way the smallest ones are lined up to comment on any particular happening gives me the creeps, quite frankly. Children don't lie well and their body and eye language tell me there is some hesitance to be forthcoming, glances for approval, squirming, hard to describe without a visual example.

Outsiders will never know what has transpired in that family that they don't want known and I don't care to imagine.

Respected Contributor

I can't fault the kids, that's how they were raised and all they know. To them, their life is normal.

As for Jessa, I have always thought she has a bit of rebel in her, she just has that smirk. Cool

Also, I have noticed that they have modernized themselves quite a bit since the time their shows were just specials.

Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 minkbunny said:

I do. Why I do, I don't know. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

And when someone on the boards refers to a tweet or facebook announcement, I look it up.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Respected Contributor

I admit to watching sometimes & think it's just curiosity more than anything else. I don't watch every week but I am a sucker for weddings so have watched for that reason. Truth be told, my real weakness is the Little Couple & I always watch their shows.

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 faeriemoon said:

And when someone on the boards refers to a tweet or facebook announcement, I look it up.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I watch the Duggars, then Sons of Anarchy . Nice mix {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 nunya said:
On 11/5/2014 faeriemoon said:

I watch the Duggars, then Sons of Anarchy . Nice mix {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

How about a spinoff: The Duggars Sons of Anarchy

"Thrills & spills abound as John David & Jackson buck the system & go rogue! Tune in tonight at 7/6 Central time."

{#emotions_dlg.lol}