Respected Contributor

Re: Confused about Bobbi Kristina Brown

On 2/20/2015 imaclotheshog said:

But what does that mean?

If she is breathing on her own, it would mean THAT brain function is intact. Breathing is a very basic brain function. Brain death would mean you wouldn't breathe on your own.

BUT, it doesn't speak to HIGHER LEVEL brain functions. Those being like knowing how to do basic things or what makes a person WHO they are. She may not even be conscious. But she breathes on her own.

So, to keep her body alive, they give tube feedings, maybe IV's, and wait some more

Wanted to add that the trach tube would be to protect her airway, as she may not be conscious and able to do it. They would suction her to remove secretions she may not be able to and to try and prevent pneumonia.

They would also have physical therapy to exercise her limbs to keep them from atrophy. Although, if you don't move yourself, some atrophy is inevitable. Also, she would need to have her joints moved to prevent contractures. She would have to be moved and turned to prevent skin breakdown (bed sores), and wear devices to protect bony areas.

Hyacinth

Contributor

On 2/20/2015 chrystaltree said:

My understanding is that they took her off the ventilator; hence the "breathing tube" removal. She's trached, meaning they inserted a tube into her trachea (windpipe) to assist breathing and to remove secretions. Jahi is brain dead. Bobbi Kristina is breathing on her own so brain death isn't an issue now. It seems to me, the family accepts that she has irreversible brain damage and they have decided not to prolong the inevitiable. She's receiving iv hydration and nutrition but no heroic measures will be taken.

In order to insert the trach they have to remove the endotracheal tube(breathing tube) - a trach is just another way to attach a ventilator.A trach is more long term. If they were going to take her off life support(ventilator) - they would not have needed to trach her.

Honored Contributor

There are so many conflicting stories out there. It's not an easy topic, but this situation should be a wake up call to get a medical power of attorney in place.
Respected Contributor

On 2/20/2015 graycatsrule said: There are so many conflicting stories out there. It's not an easy topic, but this situation should be a wake up call to get a medical power of attorney in place.

One would ASSUME her father makes the decisions. Since she is reportedly not legally married.

You would also hope she had a WILL, since she may be wealthy on her own.

I'm not a legal expert, so it seems to me her FATHER, being her closest relative would have decision making power. Unless she had a document saying otherwise.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

It's impressive how the family, hospital, and police have been able to maintain confidentiality. Big ideas have been published, but the little details are unknown.
Valued Contributor

Will she be allowed to stay in the hospital without making progress as long as they have the means to pay? Or would she be transferred to long term care facility at a certain point?

Super Contributor

They still haven't removed her from life support?

Valued Contributor

Do we really know what's going on with her? I say, let's just pray for her and her family and then mind our own business. This sad circumstance must be so painful for her extended family...
Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 Sawn said: Do we really know what's going on with her? I say, let's just pray for her and her family and then mind our own business. This sad circumstance must be so painful for her extended family...

Don't tell us to mind our own business. We can talk about this, if we want too.

Respected Contributor

On 2/20/2015 catwhisperer said:
On 2/20/2015 Sawn said: Do we really know what's going on with her? I say, let's just pray for her and her family and then mind our own business. This sad circumstance must be so painful for her extended family...

ITA. Very well said.

Since I am the OP, I don't think I or anyone else said anything remotely disrespectful.

I think it's quite natural to wonder, since something about her is reported every day.

If you think it is wrong to discuss it, why do you even post?

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}