Esteemed Contributor

Concerts over for now?

[ Edited ]

Maryland is just starting to reopen a few places, but not many.  My county is still "stay at home" because of the proximity of another county with high deaths and infections.  I'm fine staying put.

However we have two concerts "postponed" (for now) at a small venue in Annapolis, but I'm thinking there is no way on earth they can have a concert any time soon.  Some shows have been canceled, but most are just postponed.

The dates are now September and October, but....what will be different?  The room is small and normally full seating.  The artists are singing...everyone sings along.  Lots of eating and drinking, cheering...

There is no way to socially distance in this place unless they cancel 1/2 the seating.  Even then, it would be a petri dish with so many people in a confined space.

I've not heard any discussion in general about concerts other than the big ones will likely not be held this year.

Just wish they would cancel the concerts and refund the ticket prices, because even if they go off, I cannot imagine feeling safe at such a venue. Mask or no mask, you are in a small space with lots of people breathing, singing....

I feel bad all around for the venue and the artists.  Most unable to perform in public for the rest of the year...maybe longer.

Esteemed Contributor

It is beyond sad to think of a world with no live performances.  But here we are.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Concerts over for now?

[ Edited ]

I weep for all that we have lost.  A first cousin forwarded to me a beautiful video yesterday that brings home the fact that we are only visitors on this beautiful planet of ours.  We have not been the most considerate of visitors, have we? 

Alas, I am unable to copy and paste its ID.  I know only basics in these maneuvers.

We "went to sleep in one world and woke up in another," as the video says. 

I am deeply saddened that live performances may be a thing of the past for a very long time.  Hope I am wrong -- hope they can return sooner than thought.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining 

@golding76 

I so agree.

We have seen so many wonderful artists at this place and always have a good time.  Reserved seating and reasonable prices.  You are just steps from the artist.  So much fun.

My husband and I agree that if they don't cancel, we aren't going anyway Cat Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Witchy Woman,

This sort of loss digs into the economy even more, and the lives of performing artists are going to be at risk in more ways than one.  (This topic is close to my heart for very personal reasons that I won't go into.)  

Artists and their work pull us out of the sometimes painful lives that we lead; they elevate us; they let us transcend our everyday woes and feel good (or better) about life.  The give us the will to go on.

So many artists -- particularly musicians -- do not have health insurance.  So, not only will these marvelous human beings not have an income for food and housing, they will not have any money to seek medical care if they become ill.  In the U.S., for the most part, those who have 9-to-5 jobs are the only ones who have health insurance.  Musicians, in particular, do not have 9-to-5 jobs.  The enormity of their loss during this downturn will be incalculable in terms of health and personal comfort.  

This is not intended to urge you to attend your concert.  Heavens no!  I won't be attending anything in the near future either.  The ramifications of all that has happened are not yet known.  It will continue to to be a grim awakening.

Trusted Contributor

Check back in about 3 years and we'll see if it's safe to have live performances.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

It is beyond sad to think of a world with no live performances.  But here we are.  

You have to go and look for them. I have been seeing many performances on You Tube, Facebook Live and zoom. Ok, lthey're not the big names one might be used to, but the musicians are there and performing their hearts out. I'm seeing more shows now than ever before and they're usually free with a request to donate to the artist, or at a minimal fee.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604  Isn't it wonderful to discover the new talent that has emerged online?  Hope it translates to performances at live venues when safe to do so.

Respected Contributor

I am in MD as well, and yes, our county has done a soft opening, with masks and distancing still required and I believe limited numbers of folks in the store. @Witchy Woman I know where your county is and yes, it’s high concentration of covid. I am on the Eastern Shore near the beach and we were very very upset, well the locals were, with the beach mayor opening things in a heavily traveled and over crowded resort. I fear the consequences.

All you can do is treat everyone like they are infected and continue safe practices. You cannot control the governmental responses so just protect yourself.

I too am sad about outdoor venues and concerts being shelved. But I think this will pass at some point. We must be patient in a country NOT know for patience, but moreso,  self entitlement.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

We can have live performances live-streamed - not as good as in-person, of course, but better than nothing.