Respected Contributor

Two lines in your post gave me pause and made me a little sad 

"he won't be around much longer" and "he's bored"

Honored Contributor

Re: Company - Staying Over

[ Edited ]

My husband and I are both more comfortable in a hotel when we go away. I guess I wouldn't mind company for a few days, but it depends on who it is and how easy going they are. I do not want to feel like I have to entertain them 24/7.........I would rather they stay at a hotel nearby and then just come over for Dinner or going out...... But if they are close friends, or close family, I probably wouldn't mind for a few days!

Trusted Contributor

I would never impose on anyone by asking if I could stay over nor would I expect anyone to impose upon me.  They have asked and I have said no.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

For me personally, I feel more comfortable staying in a hotel, but the one time that I stayed with a friend, she invited me to stay with her and her husband.

I tried to be a good houseguest.

I brought books for her infant daughter, and a gift for them. I cleaned up after myself and helped with chores, such as washing the dishes. I never expected meals to be catered to me. I ate whatever was made, and said thank you. I only stayed there days. I never expected them to "entertain" me. 

All-in-all, it was a good visit, but I still prefer to stay in a hotel.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Two lines in your post gave me pause and made me a little sad 

"he won't be around much longer" and "he's bored"

@scatcat You can't depend on his not being around.  I've known people about to go that lived 20 years longer. She has done a lot for him, she is older, and she deserves consideration for her abilities and needs as much.  

When you get older and you've always given in, nobody considers how this affects you--you are tagged the giver and the expectation is on YOU. 

Respected Contributor

I am in the minority here but I love having company. Our family was brought up with the mincas es su casa idea.

I am also fortunate that nonhouse guest ever mooches off of us. They always provide food, wine meals out, remake the bed etc.,

But I do understand how others feel.

Honored Contributor

Hotel rooms make for happy friends and family.

Honored Contributor

I hate staying with people more than I hate people staying with us.  

Esteemed Contributor

Depends upon who this person is.  A cousin? A son or grandson?  Someone related or just a friend.  

Personally if it keeps happening I would be honest and tell him how you really feel.  Or if you just want to avoid the situation tell him you are not going to be home or you are having lots of other people over.  

I like company for a day or two.  After that, not comfortable for me.  Too much repetitive work for me.  

Honored Contributor

@BostonMommy : 😆😆😆. Yep been there. When DH retired turned one bedroom into a TV room for him. The other bed room was turned into an office, pantry and exercise room for me.