Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I don't like the Sling TV commercials with Megan Mullally.

THAT'S Megan?!

I never knew!!!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

99% of commercials don't bother me, even the ones for prescription meds, because I figure life is just too short to get all worked up over a 30 second commercial.

But having said that, there is one commercial that I don't understand, and it's the commercial for Michelobe Ultra Pure Gold beer, with the woman whispering in to two microphones as she pours the beer in to a glass.

Why is she whispering?!

Honored Contributor

Re: Commercials

[ Edited ]

I guess I just hate all commercials now. They think people sticking their fingers into each other’s mouths slurping off dip is going to make anyone buy their product? I have always hated the progressive and geico commercials....now just add any and all other insurance commercials to the list. And Marie......her commercials just go on forever.

Except for the Chantix turkey. The only commercial on tv that I will actually watch. And DH likes the energizer bunny. Boy, are we old....

Honored Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

The Stanley Steemer commercial where the boy hits his groin area while dancing because he beat his friend while playing a video game is just ridiculous.

I couldn't figure that one out. I thought the dancing kid twisted a family jewel and that caused the older kid to laugh and spit out his shake, then, the snotty teenage girl just scooted the hassock over the stain , so, the mother couldn't see it. I wanted to sock all 3 of them. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I say ban all drug commercials - they are confusing to some and cause doctors issues when they try to prescribe. Just reminded of that yesterday by my GP.  And if there is a way to stop all the ambulance chasing lawyer ads it would be fabulous.  I have noticed a number of ads for hard liquors lately. The beer ads are enough, but name brand bourbon on the Hallmark Channel?  IMHO Awful!  I thought this was banned years ago.  It's supposed to be a family channel.

One more thing . . . I'm not a Bible waving gal, but I definitely resent the constant use of "Oh my God" on television. It's showing up in many ways every day. Not just on commercials.       I find it insulting to many and I have to say I consider it highly inappropriate. Reference to any other diety would be equally uncalled for. What are we teaching our children? 

We Americans can do better.  Let's try!

I don't think QVC should be selling wine either. Who knows where that's really going .

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

The commercial that irritates me is the one about the mother who is not around enough for her daughter and her soccer game.  I have no idea what the commercial is for.  But the kid is out in the backyard at 4AM kicking this soccer ball against the house - thud thud thud, the Mom is woken up and goes out there with her daughter.  On comes the bright lights and more kicking the ball against the side of the house outside at 4AM.  How thoughtful - who cares about the neighbors?  It's all about ME ME ME.

(You can see they are in a line of row houses, it's not like they are isolated where they live).

So true I had to call the law down on my across the st. neighbor for revving his engine for couple of hrs and making it backfire making it sound like a war zone and this is a upscale community. Unfortunately, we're not in the city limits, so, cops finally showed up after I called them twice. I hope he obeys, because I'll probably be the one who gets arrested if I open mouth again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These commercials just get the attention of my remote. I don’t just hit the mute, I change the channel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

99% of commercials don't bother me, even the ones for prescription meds, because I figure life is just too short to get all worked up over a 30 second commercial.

But having said that, there is one commercial that I don't understand, and it's the commercial for Michelobe Ultra Pure Gold beer, with the woman whispering in to two microphones as she pours the beer in to a glass.

Why is she whispering?!

@Anonymous032819 

The prescription drug commercials are misleading folks on their health care...Our local news did a panel discussion, I've read numeous articles on the subject, and also talked with my doctor:

1.  The commercials are usually for the most expensive drug in it's class. There are other older drugs that are less expensive and just as effective with fewer side effects, yet patients are insistent and demand the drug they saw on TV!!! They ignore the advice of their doctor who knows their health history and treated them for many years.

2. All they see on these ads are happy happy people....and people watching take the advertisers message to heart--"you can be just as happy just take this drug."... The side effects are just glossed over while Madison Advenue presents a visual utopic view of the drug.  They don't show anyone dealing with side effects or at the Emergency Room....but this the actual reality many taking these drugs will go through.

3.  Medical Professionals need to be the ones advising on appropriate  treatments and guidance on their patients health care.....NOT a 2 minute television ad!!!!

Medical health is certainly important......a Michelob commercial with a whispering actor is something I wouldn't wate my time worrying about....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Why is she whispering?!

@Anonymous032819 

The prescription drug commercials are misleading folks on their health care...Our local news did a panel discussion, I've read numeous articles on the subject, and also talked with my doctor:

1.  The commercials are usually for the most expensive drug in it's class. There are other older drugs that are less expensive and just as effective with fewer side effects. Yet patients are insistent and demand the drug they saw on TV!!! They ignore the advice of their doctor who knows their health history and treated them for many years.

2. All they see on these ads are happy happy people....and people watching take the advertisers message to heart--"you can be just as happy just take this drug."... The side effects are just glossed over while Madison Advenue presents a visual utopic view of the drug.  They don't show anyone dealing with side effects or at the Emergency Room....but this the actual reality many taking these drugs will go through.

3.  Medical Professionals need to be the ones advising on appropriate  treatments and guidance on their patients health care.....NOT a 2 minute television ad!!!!

Medical health is certainly important......a Michelob commercial with a whispering actor is something I wouldn't wate my time worrying about....

I get all of that, but I just don't let commercials bother me, and I wasn't worried about the beer commerical, just confused by it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We watch so few commercials on tv since we DVR or stream most everything.  However - radio commercials on Sirius - there is a charity called Kars 4 Kids in the DC region (maybe elsewhere, I have no idea).  Their jingle is so annoying I can't flip stations fast enough.  I feel bad doing that, because it's a charity, but it's that annoying.

@Mj12  and @