Respected Contributor

Re: Comments on current trends

@Yahooey wrote:

Classics are only classics because enough time has passed and the styles are still being worn. Everything starts as a trend othewise we would still be wearing multi layered petticoats and there would be no pants worn by females.

You jogged my memory. I suddenly remembered old pictures of my family on Easter Sunday when my two sisters and I wore frilly dresses and petticoats of mesh in a rainbow of colors. Lots and lots of layers. 

Respected Contributor

I love it that dresses have been back for a few years.  I really missed them!  When they first came back c. 2008, they were all low cut but workwear dresses are now back, as well.

The "army boots" look is the one I am not feeling....big, clunky, lace up boots.  Like something out of the old "Beetle Bailey" comic strip.  Though it looks fine on young people. 

I kind of like the ombre hair look but am sticking to covering my gray, as I have since my 20s. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think that we're going to see full petticote nylon dresses in the near future, but who knows?  Styles do eventually make a comeback.............'Talk about' exaggerated 'fit and flare'.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Generous wrote:

Just my observations ---

Hair styles: quite prominent now:

1.  Spaghetti strings

2.  Bird nests

3.  Hair in eyes

Fashion trends:

1.  Bare shoulder

2.  Long tails

3.  Bottom extentions

Simple classics would be SO nice to see.

@Generous, wouldn't it be so boring if we all looked the same?

I agree, @itiswhatitis. I like seeing a lot of different looks on people. I'm short and can't get away with a lot of the current trends and I can't color my hair magenta or turquoise where I work, but I love seeing all those things on other people. Sure, there are lots of things I don't like, but I'll happily put up with them for the opportunity to see the many things I do.

Try some hair chalk or another temporary method when you're not at work... fun and washes out.

I've done temporary colors and they are fun, but I've had some that didn't wash out so well. When I was in my 20s and working at a summer camp, we had color wars every week and, as the green team captain, I dyed my hair green. It mostly washed out in a few days, but weeks of working out in the sun gave my brown hair a lot of natural highlights and blond streaks and one of them was tinted green for weeks, the way a blond swimmer's hair gets tinted. 

Now that my hair is more porous from coloring it red every 5 weeks, I'm worried that other colors will also stick more than usual, so I'm super careful.

Honored Contributor

CLASSICS constantly change.

Are we talking about classics from the 40s? 50s?  Some decades had pretty awful classics.  

Are some here sill wearing little wool two piece suits with gloves, nylons and a hat?  That was really a classic.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Generous wrote:

Just my observations ---

1.  Spaghetti strings

2.  Bird nests

3.  Hair in eyes

Fashion trends:

1.  Bare shoulder

2.  Long tails

3.  Bottom extentions

I agree, @itiswhatitis. I like seeing a lot of different looks on people. I'm short and can't get away with a lot of the current trends and I can't color my hair magenta or turquoise where I work, but I love seeing all those things on other people. Sure, there are lots of things I don't like, but I'll happily put up with them for the opportunity to see the many things I do.

Try some hair chalk or another temporary method when you're not at work... fun and washes out.

I've done temporary colors and they are fun, but I've had some that didn't wash out so well. When I was in my 20s and working at a summer camp, we had color wars every week and, as the green team captain, I dyed my hair green. It mostly washed out in a few days, but weeks of working out in the sun gave my brown hair a lot of natural highlights and blond streaks and one of them was tinted green for weeks, the way a blond swimmer's hair gets tinted. 

Now that my hair is more porous from coloring it red every 5 weeks, I'm worried that other colors will also stick more than usual, so I'm super careful.

@ChynnaBlue

About two years ago, my daughter had her hair colored that deep, dark red that was popular. She paid $200 for it and it was beautuful, she got complements all the time from people of all ages but it was hard to get out.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Generous wrote:

Just my observations ---

1.  Spaghetti strings

2.  Bird nests

3.  Hair in eyes

Fashion trends:

1.  Bare shoulder

2.  Long tails

3.  Bottom extentions

@ChynnaBlue

About two years ago, my daughter had her hair colored that deep, dark red that was popular. She paid $200 for it and it was beautuful, she got complements all the time from people of all ages but it was hard to get out.

Well, to be fair, if I paid $200 for hair color, I would want it to be hard to get out. I color my own hair and it usually costs me under $10. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Generous wrote:

Just my observations ---

1.  Spaghetti strings

2.  Bird nests

3.  Hair in eyes

Fashion trends:

1.  Bare shoulder

2.  Long tails

3.  Bottom extentions

@ChynnaBlue, exactly.  As long as they are not harming others I could care less what they do with their body parts.  I'm not a very big fan of tatoos however I see some with some very interesting ones.  I won't lose sleep over folks getting tatoos.....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Main Image - ASTR the Label Gauze Maxi Dress

This spaghetti string dress I see women of younger ages wearing them.  Older women can wear them too, if we want to!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Main Image - ASTR the Label Gauze Maxi Dress

This spaghetti string dress I see women of younger ages wearing them.  Older women can wear them too, if we want to!

I get the spaghetti string straps in fashion, but the OP specifically mentioned the spaghetti strings in hair and not the fashion section. Any idea what that's about? I have no idea.

1.  Spaghetti strings

2.  Bird nests

3.  Hair in eyes