Honored Contributor

Re: Comfort Pets?

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I feel all these therapy pet claims are a load of cr@p!

There is a huge difference between THERAPY pets and COMFORT pets and it is rare that someone uses a therapy pet deceitfully.  I will concede that a significant number of individuals are being deceitful about their pet being a comfort animal that entitles them to take the pet anywhere.

However, there is also a very real need for comfort pets, particularly for those that suffer anxiety/panic attacks.  If you have never seen someone going through of these attacks consider yourself lucky.  Also keep in mind while unusual the fear that causes the attack can also trigger aggression, violence and unusual behavior as seen with increasing frequency on flights when someone panics and tries to flee by opening an aircraft door.

Not "all" therapy (or comfort) claims are "cr@p".

How come in the last few years "comfort/emotional support dogs" are now everywhere? So they forgo the meds, and have a dog instead now? 

I believe most of these type of dogs are for the owners to bring their pets to places, they normally couldn't.   IMO

Honored Contributor

Hi @sunala,

I have heard of comfort pets, which to me is all of our family's furry kids. That is what most pets are to many people. I think you know my love for animals, but like many things, there should be limits.

There are people that have true allergies, some to certain species of animals. How a person chooses to live with their animals, in their own homes and out of doors, is their own business within all laws.

I personally think that those that feel they should be free to take them any and everywhere they go, could use some professional help, to get to the source of their needs to have their "comfort" with them, everywhere they go.

If they are working with a professional? They need to see them more often and/or look for groups of other people that meet regularly to tell and discuss their views and needs with others with those same types of life issues.  

Always good to see your name and try to add my feelings or opinions to your threads when applicable to old men.

Hope all is well with you and yours and my best to you my friend,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I feel all these therapy pet claims are a load of cr@p!

There is a huge difference between THERAPY pets and COMFORT pets and it is rare that someone uses a therapy pet deceitfully.  I will concede that a significant number of individuals are being deceitful about their pet being a comfort animal that entitles them to take the pet anywhere.

However, there is also a very real need for comfort pets, particularly for those that suffer anxiety/panic attacks.  If you have never seen someone going through of these attacks consider yourself lucky.  Also keep in mind while unusual the fear that causes the attack can also trigger aggression, violence and unusual behavior as seen with increasing frequency on flights when someone panics and tries to flee by opening an aircraft door.

Not "all" therapy (or comfort) claims are "cr@p".

Yes, I have had panic attacks and that is what medication is for. Service dogs are necessary and needed, the rest, no.

Honored Contributor

If you actually look up the definition of comfort dogs and the legal rights - all it says is that no one can prevent you from renting a home due to the animal. All this about they can take them anywhere is a load of krap.Businesses just don't want the hassle so they allow it, but it is not the law.

Respected Contributor

I love animals.

I do not however, appreciate people who abuse the idea of therapy animals.

I live in a state where welfare and state services money flows like a waterfall. One of my long time friends has a sister who is really out there in left field. Admittedly it is hard to watch. She uses many state services, which sometimes her family thinks go way over the top. And, I agree.

One of the state services paid for a dog for her. Pays for food and vet care for it too. She also has cable paid for as well as her cell phone. Seriously? Working the system I say.

IMO paying for the dog is where I draw the line at my tax dollars being spent.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

It wouldn't bother me, but then I'm not allergic. I must say I've never heard of people taking dogs to church. That's a new one.

Yeah, wouldn't you think church would be comforting enough?

Honored Contributor

IMO - much of this actually stems from people who are too lazy to house break their dogs so they can't leave them at home unattended. They have to take them everywhere with them. A well trained dog is a joy to everyone  and a untrained dog is an annoyance to everyone.

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

I saw something about that on tv several months ago.  This particular piece was about how a woman who rented an apartment didn't have to pay the pet deposit because she claimed her small dog was a comfort dog.  As mentioned in other posts above, she just paid a few bucks to get the documentation online.

Thing is, if a person claims they need to have the animal, nobody can legally ask them why, because it's supposedly confidential health info.  There are plenty of people out there who truly have problems & these scammers just ruin it for everyone.

@DoneTryin  Not quite accurate.  Comfort/therapy dogs are not recognized by the ADA as service dogs because they do not perform a particular job/task that they are trained to do.

A person with a valid service dog may be asked specifically what the dog is trained to do but cannot be denied entrance into an establishment, although there can be restrictions where the dog can be - e.g. at a zoo the dog may be restricted to certain areas.

The ADA does not require vests so we know that some vests can be bought online and passed off as "service" dog related.

Comfort dogs and the "certifications" bought online are just as wrong as those who claim that their poochie is a service dog.

Everyone loves their doggies but please-if you can't go anywhere without poochie then see a therapist.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I hate it when people bring dogs to stores and I'm not talking about service dogs.  I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond and reported to an employee that someone brought a dog in.  They could care less.  I'm allergic to cats & dogs, but that wasn't the reason why.  I think I've even seen them in grocery stores!!

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I hate it when people bring dogs to stores and I'm not talking about service dogs.  I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond and reported to an employee that someone brought a dog in.  They could care less.  I'm allergic to cats & dogs, but that wasn't the reason why.  I think I've even seen them in grocery stores!!

I was in Panera a couple of months ago and someone brought in their dog. He sat next to them at the table across from us. No one said a thing about it. The dog was a pretty good size too..