Honored Contributor

Re: Comedian Shelley Berman Has Died

@just bee wrote:

When I was a little kid in Chicago we lived in Rogers Park.  My mother waited tables and, for a time, she worked in a restaurant on Morse Avenue.  A few doors down there was Ashkenaz.  The Morse location apparently burned down in the 70s but, if memory serves, they had a sandwich on their menu: The Shelley Berman.

I'm not certain, but it may have been a BLT.

Godspeed.

A BLT Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm not certain, but I think he appeared on an episode of the D. Van ****** show.  In a very funny, showcase role, of course.  Was he one of the many unsuccessful suitors to D.'s co-worker,  "Sally"?    Whatever he did, he was good.   RIP.

A lot of great old school comics appeared on that show, come to think of it.  Maybe it was the Carl Reiner connection?   Of course he knew everybody in the biz.

Honored Contributor

A new report in the Daily News says he died of complications from Alzheimer's.

I'm sorry to read that... we have a very close older family friend fighting that terrible disease.

Esteemed Contributor

Also remember seeing him on Ed Sullivan as a child.  I think he was on the new Hawaii Five O a few years ago.

Respected Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

Also remember seeing him on Ed Sullivan as a child.  I think he was on the new Hawaii Five O a few years ago.

He was.......the episode was when McGarrett's sister Mary came for a visit and had an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair with her......she was his caretaker.  He was still funny!

Valued Contributor

I own the original Broadway cast cd of a musical Mr. Berman starred in, around 1961, called "A Family Affair".  Larry Kert co-starred with him, and although it was not a hit show, Mr. Berman showed that he had a very pleasant singing voice, perfect for musical comedy.  He will be missed.

Honored Contributor

Shelley Berman,

Image result for rest in peace images