Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Combined QVC-HSN 1Q Sales Drop 4%, to $1.9 Billion

With all those extra channels, one wonders where that business is going.  Any thoughts?

Trusted Contributor

Just guessing but between the increased costs of clothing and personal problems with shipping, that should account for something. It did say there were modest increases but they lost both Joy and Iman. They're going to be losing more because of the increase in tariffs in China.

Super Contributor

With all the changes that were made and some not for the better, people are not watching or purchasing as much from QVC or HSN.

It's evident on this forum the constant complains on their performance with returns,quality and sometimes prices.

Honored Contributor

Maybe the stale, repetitious programming has been a contributory factor as to why people prefer to shop elsewhere.

I think the Q's business model is beginning to show the lack of innovative thinking and progress. The shipping is slow and the return process is expensive and tedious. This has been brought up countless times on the forums yet nothing has changed.

New Contributor

They just don’t get it and need to up their game. Most of their prices are ridiculous, then add slow shipping which they charge for and 7 bucks to return! WTF? Love me some amazon! Get a clue!
Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article but I'm surprised it hasn't dropped more.  IMO the long time QVC buyer (like me) is getting bored and annoyed with the programming for many different reasons.  And I doubt QVC/HSN is attracting the millennials.

Honored Contributor

There are just so many other online retailers and the Qs overhead has probably gotten very high...fancy sets,camera and hosts along with vendors,social media person and models to pay.I would say the with all of the corporate people and customer service,air time and I am sure I missed many more on the payroll the whole darn operation is over the top costly way to do business.

Honored Contributor

I'm honestly surprised it's not more. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's my thoughts.....

QVC better start listening to their customer base.....

New Show titles and playing musical chairs with hosts and presenting the SAME products continuously on 3 channels isn't a formula for success!!!  We are talking about an actual 4% DECLINE in SALES..

Not a decline in revenue due to hiring more hosts, more channels, and overall cost of doing business here...we're talking sales ..
..and Qurate was flat for the last quarter in 2018, and overall for 2018 as a whole....so it just got worse

QxH reported sales declines in home, jewelry and beauty, which were partially offset by gains in electronics with modest growth in fashion (apparel and accessories). QxH generated strong sales growth in off-air products; however, these gains were not sufficient to offset lower sales of on-air items.   

Maybe some unwatchable hosts contributed to this...

And jewelry continues it's decline....hey QVC, maybe it's due to abandonment of modestly priced jewelry and instead replacing it with very pricey items and then pushing special financing through it's Q Card....NOT A GOOD STRATEGY...

Too many beauty shows !!! When customers can't even watch a fashion show without half of it being beauty products, plus IT Cosmetics and Argon Oil on 95% of the time every darn weekend...its called OVERSATURATION....no wonder they dropped Beauty IQ...not worth the expense compared to sales..

And decline in home....maybe presenting the SAME ole vacuums, fans, shredders, humidifiers, power washers, patio umbrellas, mattresses and beds, a $200 mop isn't working to attract new or existing customers

And I predict that Jill Martin's new GILI line will send the Home category spiraling down further

Frankly I am surprised apparel had a MODEST gain due to 

high prices, and all lines looking alike....

Why even Qurate's shining star, Zulily which is tracked separately from HSN/QVC, had a 5% decline....after a 6% increase...

I think Zulilly's woes describes Qurates woes-- decrease in new customers and lower frequency of purchases from existing customers for the above reasons....

And I have to give a shout out to all those that told us continuously to "change the channel"  I guess your advice was heeded and worked Smiley Wink

Sadly the Execs are CLUELESS!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”