Respected Contributor

Re: Columbus Day .... no mail

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yup, federal holiday, which means that banks and government buildings are closed too.

But, for those who work today, it should be double-time!

Chase and Wells Fargo are open.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

FYI, for government contractors, it's not a day off....it's a floater. It's this day or the day after Thanksgiving......guess which day the majority choose to take off, lol?'

It's not just government contractors; that's the way it works for many employers.  My employer stopped giving us both Columbus Day and Veteran's Day off many years ago.  They couldn't make everyone happy; so now they alternate.  This year we work on Columbus Day and Veteran's Day is a company holiday.  Next year, it flips.  

Honored Contributor

I prefer to shut down my office for Veteran's Day and never have done so Columbus Day.  Our county offices stay open so we follow same.  But I am thankful no mail today since when I came in and saw my Sat. mail lying on my office floor the first thing I spotted was the dreaded "yellow" postcard announcing my next Jury Summons appointment across the street.  I believe they cannot go more than a year without inviting me over.  Oh well, get it done the day before Halloween and not have to worry during the other holidays. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

UPS and most other delivery companies work on this holiday.  Just USPS takes off government holidays.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the reminder. Since my kids are out of school I loose track of these holidays. 

Honored Contributor

Some local bank branches are open and some of our city government offices are open.  My DH had to work today and our municipal court is open.

Our county offices are closed.  

Valued Contributor

You work for a contractor not the US Government.  A contractor is a compoany that has its own rules and dates off.  Usually, a US Government worker receives less pay than a contractor and as part of benefits are paid holidays.  I speak from experience after 30 years.  I would recommend taking one of those floater holidays.  Both positions have their advantages.  Happy Columbus Day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Schools in Austin area - teacher development day - no kids...

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Just a reminder.

______

Thank you for posting this!  I wasn't sure.

Honored Contributor

I knew and forgot, as happens to everyone ;-( 

I saw the thread headline and it clicked that when I’d checked my mail this morning I hadn’t gotten an Informed Delivery email. My expected QVC package isn’t due until the end of the week.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all