Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

No matter what, my thought is that we all love the United States of America.  Some see "things" one way, and others see those things another way.

In the end, my belief is that we love our mother country.  I could be wrong, but I choose to believe this thought of mine. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

@Nancy Drew  Truer words were never spoken. Maybe the people who have such disdain for our country should ask these millions of immigrants why they wanted to come to our country to live. They might be enlightened as to what a great country they live in. One can only hope.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Today is Columbus Day!!

@Hoovermom.  No, in New Mexico it's Indigenous People Day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Today is Columbus Day!!

@Hoovermom.  No, in New Mexico it's Indigenous People Day.

@Kachina624 Correction, it's Indigenous People Day in New Mexico, but it’s still Columbus Day where many others live in the U.S. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

@Nancy Drew  Truer words were never spoken. Maybe the people who have such disdain for our country should ask these millions of immigrants why they wanted to come to our country to live. They might be enlightened as to what a great country they live in. One can only hope.

Exactly!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Who are these people who have such 'disdain' for America?

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It is always interesting to me that the people who say leave if you don't like it are always defending subjugation, genocide and treason.

Is it an American anomaly to want to celebrate our worst times in history?  Germans don't celebrate their dark time. I don't think Japan does either.

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great Nation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

The true history tells us that Columbus did not "discover America".  

Have fun with Myth Day.  😁

Oh good grief.  This is part of the problem.  Columbus didn't discover anything and he certainly didn't disover "our great nation"....LOL   Go read a 4th grade history book.  Columbus landed in in the Carribean.  He actually made several trips there but he NEVER sailed north and NEVER landed anywhere in or near North America.  He was looking for gold, which he didn't fine and that's why he was a joke in his own time died forgotten and penniless.  The myth of Columbus was invented long after his death.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr  ..... HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

"Indigenous Peoples Day" is a part of a continuing effort to tear down this country's heritage and culture and replace it with something that is unrecognizable to all but those who hate this country and it's founding.

@Cats3000  So true! Why don’t they advocate for a separate Indigenous Peoples Day instead of trying to take away from our history. We like Columbus day. There’s always something new to whine and complain about. HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY ALL!

@Ketra   .... HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY  to you too !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Nancy Drew  No one is being disdainfull of our country because we've stopped believing the myth that Columbus was, in fact, the one who 'discovered' America... Moreover, the simple reality is that despite the 'so many people who would love to live here', there actually were people living her before any of our European ancestors... They had their own traditions and beliefs, which went largely disrespected by those who moved in and took over... I often understand much of your point of view and often agree with your perspective, but not this time...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...