Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

In our country, in our history, the prevailing opinion used to be that certain huge groups of people were not considered full humans. So taking the Native Americans' land was considered fine because they weren't "civilized" and weren't using it properly anyway. (Even though they obviously were.) You could do whatever you wanted to people who weren't European, and with several other characteristics, and somehow it didn't count as bad.

Now everyone is rightfully considered a full human (though this is not completely accepted by everyone) and we see the injustices more clearly than before.

It's still a great country. Built partly on pain and exploitation -- as well as many positive concepts such as the principle of freedom, if not the complete practice of it for all. Being realistic is important if you truly love your country. Those of us who live here owe it to the land we love to make it better and more in line with our founding principles.

I think today could be converted into celebrating Columbus, Ohio instread. It's not a bad town.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

It is always interesting to me that the people who say leave if you don't like it are always defending subjugation, genocide and treason.

Is it an American anomaly to want to celebrate our worst times in history?  Germans don't celebrate their dark time. I don't think Japan does either.

Honored Contributor

RI ame: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

I am thankful to live in a country where dissent and criticism is still allowed and protected even if some would like that to not be the case.

Going down the totalitarian road would destroy what makes America an attractive destination for many people around the world.

Respected Contributor

Right on@bathina. No one ever mentions the atrocities done to the native Americans.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

It is always interesting to me that the people who say leave if you don't like it are always defending subjugation, genocide and treason.

Is it an American anomaly to want to celebrate our worst times in history?  Germans don't celebrate their dark time. I don't think Japan does either.

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great Nation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great Nation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

The true history tells us that Columbus did not "discover America".  

Have fun with Myth Day.  😁

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that havgredisdainful their country  but won't leave. 

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great INation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

You must be miserable with it being a holiday then. LOL!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

In my view, naming is not just a recognition of history, it is an honor.  There are some who would like to ignore past major errors.  That is not being patriotic.  It is a philosophy founded on the premise of “My country, right or wrong.”  Yes, we live in a great country.  But it is a flawed view of patriotism.  One might hope that acknowledging past wrongs makes us even stronger as a nation.  Those who have not been exemplary figures in history do not deserved to be honored.  

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that havgredisdainful their country  but won't leave. 

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great INation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

You must be miserable with it being a holiday then. LOL!

I will just echo kittylou.

Bless your heart.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 

Yep.

Any Southern Belle will understand Bless Your Heart in this case!

You Sassy You!!