Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

@suzyQ3  Well, Speak for yourself.  Have you ever seen what happens when someone with a microphone goes on the street and asks people about words or the news?

Come on!  I think many Americans have no idea who these people are!  It’s not like they’ve studied it/ this word.

Now if you were to say, American Indians...people would be like “ Oh!  OK I get it”.....

Just to prove my point tomorrow when I’m in my home office away from this IPad I’ll see if I can’t find some video to back up my point.

From the time I was 3 months old I was raised by my Grandmother.  She was American Indian.  Her mother was American Indian.  If you’d called her Indigenous she wouldn’t have known what the heck you were talking about.

You can talk about “spoon feeding people” information, but I think that’s being condescending.  Just because a person doesn’t understand something doesn’t mean they are stupid or need to be “spoon fed”.

Just saying......

Honored Contributor

With all due respect @Annabellethecat66, we (Humans) do better when we know better.

Going back to Columbus, he thought he was in the East Indies and the native people were referred to as "Indians" by the Europeans. I am an African American and no longer a Negro as my ancestors were called.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I think I've been aware of the term "indigenous people" for at least thirty years. I know my children learned about them when they were in third grade and studied local geography and history.  They are in their thirties...nothing new here!  

Honored Contributor

Not to be confused with indignant. 

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66    Just my opinion, but you seem to be underesteimating our Indigenous population on our continent.  This term is nothing new, it means native to the region.  

I've been fortunate enough to have known some.  One specifically identified himself proudly as from the Mohawk tribe in New York.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

Some Americans want a sanitized history that is  devoid of conflict and any ills that other nations experience.  Think about what Columbus left behind in Spain: a multiracial (Europeans and North Africans (Moors); multi-religious (Catholicism, Judaism, and Islam); and  multilingual. In the Americas, he left behind a lot: death, disease, etc.  Read his diaries; you can find them online to understand who he was.  Here, he found multilngual, multi-ethnic people and variants of religions that were polytheistic.  The years between 1493- and 1609 are important for laying the foundation of what would become the USA, including fundamental changes to the environment (new plants, soils, etc.) in addition to ethnic genocide, chattel slavery,  and some good things: a living Constitution and an everchanging democracy. Celebrate Columbus if you wish but accord others the respect not to honor him.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Some Americans want a sanitized history that is  devoid of conflict and any ills that other nations experience.  Think about what Columbus left behind in Spain: a multiracial (Europeans and North Africans (Moors); multi-religious (Catholicism, Judaism, and Islam); and  multilingual. In the Americas, he left behind a lot: death, disease, etc.  Read his diaries; you can find them online to understand who he was.  Here, he found multilngual, multi-ethnic people and variants of religions that were polytheistic.  The years between 1493- and 1609 are important for laying the foundation of what would become the USA, including fundamental changes to the environment (new plants, soils, etc.) in addition to ethnic genocide, chattel slavery,  and some good things: a living Constitution and an everchanging democracy. Celebrate Columbus if you wish but accord others the respect not to honor him.

You forgot but accord others the respect to honor him if they wish.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Zernia Rose wrote:

You forgot but accord others the respect to honor him.

What is it exactly that you honor Columbus for, @Nancy Drew?

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Zernia Rose wrote:

You forgot but accord others the respect to honor him.

What is it exactly that you honor Columbus for, @Nancy Drew?

Oh I don't really  feel the need to quantify my reasons. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I think you painted yourself into a corner and can't figure a gracious way to back out, @Nancy Drew.