Respected Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

I had company today so I just finished reading this entire thread. With few exceptions, it looks like the majority of us are on the same page. I'm amazed. I'm humbled by some opinions I would never have thought would be attached to certain names. I learned I really have to start acknowledging gray areas and stop assuming that because people may disagree on say, politics, that means they will never agree on anything else. I've been stubborn in that regard and now it's time to get rid of that belief. Thank you ladies. An excellent, eye opening (as someone said upthread) conversation.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

It is always interesting to me that the people who say leave if you don't like it are always defending subjugation, genocide and treason.

Is it an American anomaly to want to celebrate our worst times in history?  Germans don't celebrate their dark time. I don't think Japan does either.

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great Nation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

Columbus did not discover our great nation, he never set foot on American soil!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

He landed on October 12 1492 in what we call now the Bahamas. The closest he got to landing to what we now call the United States was Cuba and as far as I know Cuba is not even a territory.

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

It is always interesting to me that the people who say leave if you don't like it are always defending subjugation, genocide and treason.

Is it an American anomaly to want to celebrate our worst times in history?  Germans don't celebrate their dark time. I don't think Japan does either.

I don't consider Columbus discovering our great Nation a dark time but a celebration. I think you just proved my point.

Columbus did not discover our great nation, he never set foot on American soil!

If you dig up all my old post be prepared there are a lot!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nbo wrote:

He landed on October 12 1492 in what we call now the Bahamas. The closest he got to landing to what we now call the United States was Cuba and as far as I know Cuba is not even a territory.

Thank you @Nbo , I hope the people who refuse TRUE facts read this post and hopefully now know the TRUTH! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

So anyone can make up their own version of history now? I'm confused, or maybe I'm not.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

So people throw those words around...Indigenous People....I’m willing to bet most people have no idea who that is...

How about educating people BEFORE they are asked to recognize or have a holiday for/about them....just saying I think it’s a disservice to them AND the people who are supposed to offer recognition to them.

All most people know is “for some...OK..the government...it’s a day off......”.

Honored Contributor

Believing something doesn’t mean it’s true. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So people throw those words around...Indigenous People....I’m willing to bet most people have no idea who that is...

How about educating people BEFORE they are asked to recognize or have a holiday for/about them....just saying I think it’s a disservice to them AND the people who are supposed to offer recognition to them.

All most people know is “for some...OK..the government...it’s a day off......”.

@Annabellethecat66, "Indigenous people" is not some esoteric label. If I opened this thread and didn't know what it was, I would google it or post the question. Besides, after reading through the thread, how could anyone still not know?

I don't think that any of us should feel the need to spoon feed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Well, Alaska now officially celebrates Indigenous People Day so we know what indigenous means.