Esteemed Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Well I am just going to go with my facts. Thanks.

Proven? Meaning; carefully researched? 

Meaning I am going to go with my beliefs of my independent research and not go with the cool kids because they want me to.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Proven? Meaning; carefully researched? 

Meaning I am going to go with my beliefs of my independent research and not go with the cool kids because they want me to.

For several days now you have directly and indirectly accused others of trying to change your mind, this is not the case at all. 

independent research is a valuable tool as long as you check and double check SEVERAL sources.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not personally invested in changing anyone's mind, especially when the matter is fact based. There are times when I think most of us would like to sway opinions, but opinions and facts are not the same thing. The fact is that Columbus was a huge factor in opening up European colonization of the Americas. The fact is he was not the first person to have explored North America. The fact is he never even reached North America. People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, but not being able to admit when one is in error is sort of unfortunate. Personally, I do believe we're done here.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Yep pretty sure Indigenous people were killing each other before Columbus arrived.

What do you not understand? Columbus NEVER arrived here.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Nancy Drew 

You might do well on Twitter.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not personally invested in changing anyone's mind, especially when the matter is fact based. There are times when I think most of us would like to sway opinions, but opinions and facts are not the same thing. The fact is that Columbus was a huge factor in opening up European colonization of the Americas. The fact is he was not the first person to have explored North America. The fact is he never even reached North America. People are free to believe whatever they want to believe, but not being able to admit when one is in error is sort of unfortunate. Personally, I do believe we're done here.

@stevieb, my mother was never done. Just saying.:-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

LOL...maybe our mothers were sisters, @suzyQ3.  

Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Don't know about others, but I have a fondness for American Indians and the culture they contributed to our country...yes, 26 states are named after them.  The many rivers, wild animals and talents.  Remember silver and turquoise jewelry, fringe, moccasins, and beautiful designs, to mention a few.

Our history is what it is...our country was no different than every other country in the world.  Invasions and conquests took place everywhere throughout history. That doesn't make it right, but people in all countries had a different mindset then.  All countries have negatives in their past, others much worse than ours.  By the way, slavery still exists in other countries.  

Not one country was or is perfect.  Isn't that the lesson that must be learned.  None of us were perfect in our own lives, but we forgive ourselves, thankful we turned out OK, having learned many hard lessons along the way.  Many of us wouldn't give up our pasts, choosing to remember the many fond memories rather than dwelling on the bad ones...and we all had some.  I think of our country the same way.  

I'm fine with an "American Indian" day, they should have had one years ago, but IMO, it shouldn't replace any other holiday.  Instead of forcing it on them, how about we ask them if they want a holiday and if so to name it.

It's interesting, we rarely hear them complaining.  

@Foxxee    Thank you Foxxee, that was beautifully said.😊

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@tansy, oh dear, I'm so sorry, tansy. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

My mother was the same @tansy and @suzyQ3 , Triplets? Woman LOL

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson