Esteemed Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

@Mersha wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Some people just get really frustrated when  they impart all their wisdom on us and we don't change our opinions.

I think some are stating facts, not trying to change anyone's mind.

Facts is the debate able word here. They have no credentials that I am aware of.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Some people just get really frustrated when  they impart all their wisdom on us and we don't change our opinions.

No one is trying to change your opinion, just try keeping an open mind. Woman Happy

LOL like you do.

YES

LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@RainCityWoman 

Well said.   

Thank you, Bridgegal. I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This brings to mind a personal family anecdote: My mother would seemingly wait all day for her time to shine during our "dinner hour." After a bit of fortification, she would start in with political and other type rants.

I'll never forget her famous words: "Look it up." Back then, all we had were dictionaries and the full set of Encyclopeida Brittanica. My older brother would bring out one or the other and show her that she was incorrect.

Do you think that she acknowledged the wise books?

P..S. I still have a cranky stomach to this day. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Facts is the debate able word here. They have no credentials that I am aware of.

Oh for pity sake, virtually everyone realizes that Columbus did NOT 'discover' North America. It's not a matter of opinion. The world database has changed A LOT since most of us were in elementary school... Most of us are aware of that... Moreover, whoever discovered the continent did not discover the United States of America, which was founded, not discovered. No one landed on our shores and found the USA up and running. The USA developed from settlements established in the 1600's... That too was part of those old history books... Remember Jamestown... Plymouth Rock... and so on... Sheesh...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving,

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

I just read an interesting opinion piece by Kyle Smith, entitled Goodbye Columbus. In it he states, “Columbus didn’t bring cruelty to peaceful, benign peoples. The indigenous people were also cruel to one another. Iroquois were famous for their practice of torturing enemiesovera period of days. The Kwakiutl pic ticed cannibalism Many tribes scalped their victims alive. Ritual child sacrifice was common among the Mayans, the Aztecs, and others. The Incas would drug little girls with alcohol and coca leaves then freeze them, and mummify them.” As he states, Columbus did not invent cruelty in the Americas.

I am not sure what this has to do with Columbus Day or Indigenous People Day.  Europeans as well as people on all of the continents were doing the same thing.  Humans can be hateful, violent beings.  Nothing has changed since then.

Agree @Carmie .

No one is arguing that atrocities took place in many cultures.  The point being made is, we should teach true history which  includes the bad  and we should not CELEBRATE the bad.  What is so hard to understand about this?

I don't think we should celebrate the bad either.  That said, I still don't see the connection with what you posted and Columbus Day or Indigenous Day.

Or  what does your opinion piece from Kyle Smith have to do with the price of tea in China?"

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

In the words of Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

A fact is indeed fact and not debateable.

I am not sure what credentials one needs to state facts that can be checked via multiple sources.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Celebrating a day for a person who really contributed next to nothing to the founding of our nation, is the least of our worries. Our democracy is on the precipice of annihilation from within. Our peace and our security, our honor and our destiny are at stake. Let Columbus Day proceed. It will be of no significance whatsoever one way or the other if we lose it all to despotism and a totalitarian state.

Esteemed Contributor

Well I am just going to go with my facts. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Well I am just going to go with my facts. Thanks.

Proven? Meaning; carefully researched? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson