Super Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

You can love your country and still criticize it. That is the beauty of The United States of America. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some people just get really frustrated when  they impart all their wisdom on us and we don't change our opinions.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Always remember that our Constitution and Delaration of Independence were drawn up and accepted during the period known as the Age of Reason (the Enlightenment).  This was a time when the world consciously moved away from totalitarian governments and monarchies to government that was equal and just for all.  The ideas that formed our government were those reshaping the world at that time.

What the United States developed was an exquisite plan for democracy; those who worked on it were highly educated and fair-minded of spirit.  (Yes, I know there were slave owners among them, but they all were seeking the light, I do believe.  Perhaps we are slow at arriving at a place of total light and have recidivism, but I hope we are still trying to attain the ideals set forth a couple centuries ago.)

The finest minds in the Colonies convened to create and establish our U.S. government.  This is something we should always remember.

(I just felt a need to remind us of the brilliant foundation of our democracy.  Here it is at work.)

@golding76 

maybe this day should be renamed "LIBERTY, EQUALITY, AND JUSTICE FOR ALL DAY?"   Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Some people just get really frustrated when  they impart all their wisdom on us and we don't change our opinions.

More likely they get frustrated when they impart their knowledge and it is ignored.

BTW, exactly where did Columbus set foot on this continent after he "discovered" it?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

No one is trying to change your opinion, just try keeping an open mind. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I think some are stating facts, not trying to change anyone's mind.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Vandalizing the Christopher Columbus Statute in San Francisco on Columbus Day. "Destroy all monuments of genocide" and "Kill all colonizers," written in red paint on the base of the Staute. 

What is surprising is that San Francisco STILL HAS a Columbus statue.

~Newsweek

~Sacramento Bee

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I think some are stating facts, not trying to change anyone's mind.

EXACTLY!

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

No one is trying to change your opinion, just try keeping an open mind. Woman Happy

LOL like you do.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

LOL like you do.

YES