Trusted Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ketra. And. nobody is celebrating or commemorating torture and genocide going on in the world except maybe the despots who are initiating it.

@Kachina624  I believe you comletely missed the whole point of my msg to you below. That’s ok. Those currently running from genocide and torture seem to want to flee to the U.S. It’s nice that everyone doesn’t think that we as a country celebrate torture and genocide.

Respected Contributor

I just read an interesting opinion piece by Kyle Smith, entitled Goodbye Columbus. In it he states, “Columbus didn’t bring cruelty to peaceful, benign peoples. The indigenous people were also cruel to one another. Iroquois were famous for their practice of torturing enemiesovera period of days. The Kwakiutl pic ticed cannibalism Many tribes scalped their victims alive. Ritual child sacrifice was common among the Mayans, the Aztecs, and others. The Incas would drug little girls with alcohol and coca leaves then freeze them, and mummify them.” As he states, Columbus did not invent cruelty in the Americas.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep pretty sure Indigenous people were killing each other before Columbus arrived.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always remember that our Constitution and Delaration of Independence were drawn up and accepted during the period known as the Age of Reason (the Enlightenment).  This was a time when the world consciously moved away from totalitarian governments and monarchies to government that was equal and just for all.  The ideas that formed our government were those reshaping the world at that time.

What the United States developed was an exquisite plan for democracy; those who worked on it were highly educated and fair-minded of spirit.  (Yes, I know there were slave owners among them, but they all were seeking the light, I do believe.  Perhaps we are slow at arriving at a place of total light and have recidivism, but I hope we are still trying to attain the ideals set forth a couple centuries ago.)

The finest minds in the Colonies convened to create and establish our U.S. government.  This is something we should always remember.

(I just felt a need to remind us of the brilliant foundation of our democracy.  Here it is at work.)

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:
We are the best country in the world,
and if you don’t think so,
try living in other countries for a while as I have, and maybe things won’t seem so awful at home when you get back.

@Ketra 

Who doesn't think so?

I believe you're not understanding what change is.

NO one on this board is proclaiming they dislike this country 🙄

@sidsmom  Oh no! Certainly not!

Honored Contributor

It's getting hilarious really.

No matter how many times it has been pointed out that Columbus DID NOT discover Amerca, there are still people who want to celebrate Columbus discovering America. .

Isn't this a form of cogntive dissonance? 

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

It's getting hilarious really.

No matter how many times it has been pointed out that Columbus DID NOT discover Amerca, there are still people who want to celebrate Columbus discovering America. .

Isn't this a form of cogntive dissonance? 

And now we are getting in a round of whataboutism regarding human cruelty😏

Respected Contributor

A good article to read on this subject is What Columbus Day Really Means by Willam J. Connell found in the The American Scholar. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving,

@Janey2 wrote:

I just read an interesting opinion piece by Kyle Smith, entitled Goodbye Columbus. In it he states, “Columbus didn’t bring cruelty to peaceful, benign peoples. The indigenous people were also cruel to one another. Iroquois were famous for their practice of torturing enemiesovera period of days. The Kwakiutl pic ticed cannibalism Many tribes scalped their victims alive. Ritual child sacrifice was common among the Mayans, the Aztecs, and others. The Incas would drug little girls with alcohol and coca leaves then freeze them, and mummify them.” As he states, Columbus did not invent cruelty in the Americas.

I am not sure what this has to do with Columbus Day or Indigenous People Day.  Europeans as well as people on all of the continents were doing the same thing.  Humans can be hateful, violent beings.  Nothing has changed since then.

Honored Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving,

419E7151-481D-48D3-8336-62E1058A7E17.jpeg