Trusted Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day!

I wonder if they still teach elementary school children that "columbus discovered America"?  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

"Indigenous Peoples Day" is a part of a continuing effort to tear down this country's heritage and culture and replace it with something that is unrecognizable to all but those who hate this country and it's founding.

@Cats3000  So true! Why don’t they advocate for a separate Indigenous Peoples Day instead of trying to take away from our history. We like Columbus day. There’s always something new to whine and complain about. HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY ALL!

Agreed. Have two separate days! 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

See my post about The southwest. We mentioned Columbus in class but the conquistadors on the Rio Grande were too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think we should get rid of it!  He discovered the Bahamas at best.  It would make more sense to have a Vikings Day, or a English Settlement Day.

"Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.....Never set foot on America's shores but got the glory all the more!" 😬. 

Respected Contributor

Sigh,  I am really getting sick of the trend of hiding the ugly truth of history.  DON'T tear down that statue because "We don't do that anymore"  PUT UP ANOTHER STATUE  that tells the other side of history! 

Don't Rename a city squaare because it was named after someone who owned slaves when it was legal to own slaves.  George Washington owned slaves.  Shall we wipe out all evidence of him?  Out of sight, out of mind?  Within 4 generations some won't believe slavery happened because the evidence will have been hidden.

By the way, my city Officially calls this day Indigenous Peoples Day.  Because Colombus is a bad word it seems.  Give it it's own day!   Heck,  I'd LOVE to see a Peoples Heritage Day where All peoples can learn and share about their and everybody elses origins.  THAT would be One Fun Holiday!

THOSE WHO FORGET HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

"Indigenous Peoples Day" is a part of a continuing effort to tear down this country's heritage and culture and replace it with something that is unrecognizable to all but those who hate this country and it's founding.

@Cats3000  So true! Whydon’tt they advocate for a separate Indigenous Peoples Day instead of trying to take away from our history. We like Columbus day.There’ss always something new to whine and complain about. HAPPYCOLUMBUSS DAY ALL!

For many American Indians, Columbus was no hero.  His coming as well as the people who came afterward caused them great pain and hardship and wiped many of the tribes off f the face of the earth.  They are rightfully against Columbus Day.  it's not a day of celebration for them.

In order to pacify them, Indigenous People Day was established on the same day as Columbus Day.

I agree the days should be separate.  Indigenous People deserve better. To make them share a day with Columbus is a slap in the face.  These people haven't been treated fairly, honestly or morally in this country.

Our history?  Our history began when we wiped out others who were living here first.  So sad and too late to correct now. But we could still show better respect to these people.

Esteemed Contributor

It's always interesting how there are so many people who would love to live here. They love our traditions and beliefs. Yet we have those citizens that have great disdainful their country  but won't leave. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Cats3000  So true! Why don’t they advocate for a separate Indigenous Peoples Day instead of trying to take away from our history. We like Columbus day. There’s always something new to whine and complain about. HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY ALL!

Agreed. Have two separate days! 

There are a number of reasons the two holidays now coexist but one could speculate that given a wider choice, American Indians would perhpaps not have any celebration of their people coincide with Columbus Day... Of all the groups that have a bone to pick with our country, my personal view is that American Indians have as much or more to 'whine' about as do others, but have not historically done much 'whining' at all...  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Cats3000, can you elaborate here? What part of our heritage is IPD trying to tear down? What is the replacement that is unrecognizable? And who exactly has stated or acted as if they hate this country and "it' [sic] founding."

A full answer to each of my questions would be much appreciated.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Columbus myth is skewed as is the pure and peaceful indigenous people myth. While some native groups were peaceful, many were not. Delve into the history of both NE, SW and south american cultures and you will also see evidence of brutality, slavery and violence.

History happened. Erasing it won't teach us anything.

I like the idea of two separate holidays to respect the diverse cultural significance of both.