Respected Contributor

Re: Columbus Day, Indigenous People Day, Canadian Thanksgiving

@Ketra wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

"Indigenous Peoples Day" is a part of a continuing effort to tear down this country's heritage and culture and replace it with something that is unrecognizable to all but those who hate this country and it's founding.

@Cats3000  So true! Why don’t they advocate for a separate Indigenous Peoples Day instead of trying to take away from our history. We like Columbus day. There’s always something new to whine and complain about. HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY ALL!

The slaves that were forced on ships back to Spain to work and die as chattel would disagree as would the natives who had their hands chopped off for infractions of  "law" set down by the illegal conquerers. Interesting that no one says that Columbus and his raping, murdering crew should have assimilated into the land that belonged to the indigenous ooccupants. I guess conquering and exploiting is a-ok, as long as....well never mind.

Respected Contributor

I guess the idea of heritage depends on your race and religion. Some American heritage I have no feeling for at all like the confederacy.

Respected Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I guess the idea of heritage depends on your race and religion. Some American heritage I have no feeling for at all like the confederacy.

Exactly. That and Columbus belong in museums and history books. Not part of my heritage, in fact a stain on this country that most don't publicly crow about.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

"Indigenous Peoples Day" is a part of a continuing effort to tear down this country's heritage and culture and replace it with something that is unrecognizable to all but those who hate this country and it's founding.

@Cats3000  So true! Why don’t they advocate for a separate Indigenous Peoples Day instead of trying to take away from our history. We like Columbus day. There’s always something new to whine and complain about. HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY ALL!

🙄

Honored Contributor

Like all of us I was taught Columbus Day in Elementary school and that teaching is part of "my" heritage.  I was taught there were Indians already living in this country, but the new world was new to the other world in some locations.  So that would be a discovery in a way for them.  My Great-Grandfather was a full blood Indian and at this point not much left in my blood.  I have that heritage as well as still enjoying the fall season and the teaching of Columbus Day I learned as a child.  Some enjoy some do not. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Indigenous people ARE our history. Native Americans were here first. What takes away from our history is to try to act as if that isn't true, for whatever reason(s).

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the "First Nation" that Canada uses for indigenous people.

Honored Contributor

I live in an area where Native Americans built beautiful stone walls that stand to this day. Whenever I look at them it's a small symbolic humbling reminder of the country that they helped to build. They sure did.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Christopher Columbus landed in the West Indies thinking he was in part of India. Our country was named after Amerigo Vespucci, an explorer and cartographer, who proved that South America and North America were not part of Asia but a brand new world separate from what they knew as the "world" before that. Hence, both continents have "America" in their names. You kind of have to wonder why Columbus got a day named after him at all since he didn't seem to know where he was going, didn't know where he was when he got there, and didn't know where he had been when he returned home.