Trusted Contributor

Re: Columbia University Neurologist Will Examine British Boy

@Plaid Pants2....are you talking about Terri Schaivo?

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

@game-on-  I believe @Plaid Pants2 is talking about Jahi McMath who is being kept "alive" on life support machines in New Jersey.

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@game-on-  I believe @Plaid Pants2 is talking about Jahi McMath who is being kept "alive" on life support machines in New Jersey.

Yes! Her!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My friend told me about this.  It sounds like their healthcare system isn't so good.

I worked with the Brits back in the mid and late 60's.  They weren't very happy about the healthcare system back then.

However, the people I worked with was a Wing Commander (same thing as Lt Colonel) and his secretary who was employed by the Embassy.  I don't remember about her insurance company.

It has to do with experimental and controversial drugs, etc. nothing to do with healthcare or wing commanders from the 60's. 

Exactly!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I think MOST parents would want to try anything to save their baby.  Even IF the chance is remote.  And I believe it probably IS remote.

However, I think parents should speak for this baby, not government.  WHY would you prevent these parents from taking the baby for possible treatment?  He is all but terminally ill anyway.  At least they can know they tried EVERYTHING for their precious baby.

They have raised the money, offers have come in from elsewhere to help them, WHY not let them?  If it is privately funded, WHY?  I have yet to hear a LOGICAL explanation for this.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

It's the responsibility of the court to protect the child from parents who, because of their refusal to accept their child's condition, are prolonging his suffering.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's the responsibility of the court to protect the child from parents who, because of their refusal to accept their child's condition, are prolonging his suffering.

That's too easy to say @occasionalrain, nothing can change what parents feel for their child(ren)! Each one of us have our own grief timetables, it's not fair to put your own choices and feeling in this sad story.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I haven't followed the case closely because it bothers me that the baby got lost in shuffle.  It's all about the parents, no one seems interested in the child.  In what is in his best interest.  Perhaps that's why the courts haven't let them leave the country with him.  If the US physician is the one who is offering the experimental treatment, then it's a no brainer that he's going to say there's a chance that his treatment can help.  I don't see the point, I think it would have been better for the court to just let them take the child wherever they want to take him, as long as their is at their own expense.  I doubt that any hospital in Great Britain would allow this highly experimental treatment to be carried out in their hospital because it's not going to work and the family extremely litigous and unable to accept the hopelessness of the situation.  Just let them take their child and do what they want to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My friend told me about this.  It sounds like their healthcare system isn't so good.

I worked with the Brits back in the mid and late 60's.  They weren't very happy about the healthcare system back then.

However, the people I worked with was a Wing Commander (same thing as Lt Colonel) and his secretary who was employed by the Embassy.  I don't remember about her insurance company.

Oh good grief, 50 years ago...lol  You're making a broad statement like that based some recollection wing commander nonsense from 50 years ago.  GB has one of the finest healthcare systems in world, every bit as good as our own.  Don't confuse healthcare delivery and quality of medical care with the healthcare payment system, which is radically different than our own.  The two things are not the same.