Honored Contributor

Re: College Scandal Parents Mount a Defense

[ Edited ]

To me the amount of money doesn't matter.  They committed a crime. 

However, I really don't see how this is any different than a well to do family who donates enough money to a college to have a library or other building named after them and thus, their child gets into the school.  I know that is not a crime but in theory, it's the same thing, just out in the open.

I also don't understand the attorneys' thought process on the conspiracy charge.  I thought that charge meant conspiring with the admissions office, test proctor, etc., not conspiring with the other parents?

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

However, I really don't see how this is any different than a well to do family who donates enough money to a college to have a library or other building named after them and thus, their child gets into the school.  I know that is not a crime but in theory, it's the same thing, just out in the open.

I also don't understand the attorneys' thought process on the conspiracy charge.  I thought that charge meant conspiring with the admissions office, test proctor, etc., not conspiring with the other parents?

Actualy, it doesn't bother me if someone donates a library or building or significant money to a school and then their kid gets in.  At least in that case many many other kids benefit from the generosity - even if that wasn't the reason for the donation.  

What happened here was different.  This was about benefiting their kids - and the people illegally helping them cheat.

Esteemed Contributor

I found the Colburn's Motion for Dismissal:

They make 4 points for dismissal

1. The Indictment does not sufficiently allege that the Colburns are part of a single conspiracy including other parents and coaches
  2. The indictment does not sufficiently allege a conspiracy based on money or property mail fraud or wire fraud
  3. The indictment does not sufficiently allege an honest services fraud conspiracy
  4.  The indictment does not sufficiently allege a money laundering conspiracy

So, it looks like they are just going after how the specific charges are worded.  The say the Government alleges one single conspiracy by all 19 parents which isn't true.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like a reasonable defense to me. I always questioned the conspiracy charges. As for the differential in what was paid and how the cheating was carried out, it makes a difference to me but I'm not sure it does legally. Whether the conspiracy charges stick or not, I would assume other charges could be brought. There must be some reason the Feds opted to go the conspiracy route, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I think that the amount of $ involved becomes important during sentencing.

The Federal sentencing guidelines formula allows the use of it, so that is why Felicity is unlikely to do a lot of time, if she does any.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  It's not at all the same thing. In this case, only their son benefited. The donated library will benefit all students as well as their child who did not cheat.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Actualy, it doesn't bother me if someone donates a library or building or significant money to a school and then their kid gets in.  At least in that case many many other kids benefit from the generosity - even if that wasn't the reason for the donation.  

What happened here was different.  This was about benefiting their kids - and the people illegally helping them cheat.

I agree. Someone who has the wherewithal to benefit the school and other students along, possibly, with receiving special consideration for their own son or daughter is different from those who sought only to benefit themselves, whether it was the parents offering the bribes or the officials receiving them... 

It seems too that 'legacy' admissions only go so far. I suspect that if an applicant is marginal, bloodlines, donations and so on might tip the scale, but a clearly unqualified applicant gaining admission is probably the exception... Further, once in, being any sort of legacy is probably only going to carry you so far... If you can't cut it, you're on your own... When I was in college, I knew a student who'd had the road in paved a bit... He lasted three semesters, was on academic probation for two of them and finally flunked out... He was 'invited' to pack up and go home, which he did...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Personally I think they should hold some of these "elite" schools responsible for their own "donations".  Do you think they will get fined or take diplomas back?   LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If a parent wants to donate money to a college or university that's great.  Imo, it should not have anything to do with their child being accepted. Improving the college for all and bettering it for everyone is no excuse either. I realize this happens but it's wrong.   Your child needs to learn to make his or her own way in this world and get in on their own merits. There will be many situations in their lives where mommy and daddy won't be there to "help get the ball rolling".  Cheating is still cheating.  Using your position or money for something not earned...(no matter how "good" the excuse) is unacceptable in my book.  Those who have earned the right and passed the tests to get in are the ones who are most deserving even if their parents are poorer than dirt and cannot afford to "donate" one thing.  They have earned it! 

Honored Contributor

The test itself has no monetary value;  therefore it doesn't matter who paid what to have the test altered.

Stealing a candy bar vs. stealing a car is a different issue.  They both have a monetary value and that is why we have misdemeanors and felonies.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh