Honored Contributor

Re: College Scandal Parents Mount a Defense

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager  Correct. Their attorney is doing what he/she can to separate the couple from the group and have them tried separately. The Feds are going for big bucks/jail time and this couple is doing anything possible to avoid the harsher sentences that may be dished out.

Notice they are not being charged as "cheaters of the system" or for bribery. In the court of society, everyone is screaming "they cheated. they bought those degrees. they need to pay". Well, yes, because we are seeing it as cheating. But notice the colleges aren't bringing charges against anyone (that I've seen). The parents didn't bribe the college, they bribed (paid off) an employee or a contractor/acquaintance of the colleges. Is there a crime on the books for what these parents did? Not that I can find. 

So,  the colleges are not going after the parents.

The "ring leader" is not going after the parents.

The Feds are coming after the parents for charges but NOT bribery or theft.

The colleges fired coaches who accepted these bribes (in some cases).

Do you see the different issues at hand? I'm waiting for parents, Singer and coaches to start suing each other and even going after the colleges for not having safety checks in place. But so far, I haven't heard any parent being charged as a cheater (which is how society is seeing them).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bribery is covered under Federal Racketeering statutes.

The parents didn't directly pay off any of the coaches or test takers, so none was charged with Racketeering.  But Singer was.

So, I agree that to accuse the parents of bribery directly is not legally correct.  Cheating is also mentioned directly in the Singer charges, because he facilitated "cheating" in exchange for bribes.

His sentencing hearing is scheduled for June 19th.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager "Any port in a storm".  

They paid someone to falsify their son's test results?  They want the indictment dismissed?

We'll see

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I do not think that the indictment will be dismissed.

However, I can't blame them for trying.  They have very expensive attorneys.

Honored Contributor

TAlk about splitting hairs!!   I'm so tired of people doing stuff like this.  If the act is the same as the others, that's that.  To look for other paths to take to get your way is stupid to me.  No wonder the courts are so tied up and it can take years to go to court to resolve issues.  

Honored Contributor

A donation of a building to the school is not the same as personal bribes that only benefit the person being paid.At least the building benefits all students and helps to keep expansion costs down for all future students.I am not saying it is right but at least it benefits other students.The bribe is just immoral.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Personally, I do not think that the indictment will be dismissed.

However, I can't blame them for trying.  They have very expensive attorneys.

@Johnnyeager, I agree. They have right to assert a defense, regardless of any inconvenience or expense to the court.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Agree - they each have a right to a defense and their attorneys have a legal obligation to vigorously defend their clients.  

Honored Contributor

I hope these parents have a lot more money..,because the attorneys will do their best to have them spend it on a long, futile defense.
Respected Contributor

So now Lori is whining about how a trial would be so unfair to her daughters - who will be stigmatized for life.

Poor victims.