Honored Contributor

Re: College Scandal Parents Mount a Defense

@Hoovermom wrote:

Personally I think they should hold some of these "elite" schools responsible for their own "donations".  Do you think they will get fined or take diplomas back?   LOL

@Hoovermom, I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Doing some additional research, it turns out that the Second Superseding Indictment which now includes the Money Laundering Conspiracy indictment  indicts all of the parents (who have not pled guilty) together in a single conspiracy 

The conspiracy puts Singer at the "hub" of a wheel and each family/parent as a spoke.  However, the Colburn attorney contends that this wheel is now "rimless" or unconnected, in that the families have no relationship, live in different cities and were generally unknown to each other.  

Last week the large group of attorneys representing this group of parents sent a letter to the Chief Judge, District of Massachusetts: 

"Joining our clients together in a single conspiracy indictment, based on allegations that each of them participated in admissions-related activities with Singer, would violate well-established Supreme Court precedent".

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager  Found this interesting: the legal definition of conspiracy:  aagreement by two or more persons to commit crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.

Interesting premise those lawyers are basing it on.  I would think that the spokes emanating from the core would be enough to connect and a "rim" would not be necessary because it involves the center that connects them all in single mindedness.  All intent for the same purpose and outcome.

It will be very interesting to see what if the lawyers objections are upheld.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Personally I think they should hold some of these "elite" schools responsible for their own "donations".  Do you think they will get fined or take diplomas back?   LOL

@suzyQ3 :  I am under the impression that these 
"elite" schools let "celebrities" into their schools under the guide of donations of various buildings, etc. equalling millions of dollars.  Of course, there are no strings attached LOL.  Maybe if these people had shelled out big $000,000,000 there would be no chatter about it.  Why aren't they in trouble instead of the "small player"?  Are they going to take diplomas back from these big players and their children?  Of course not.  These incidents don't have any bearing on my life.

Honored Contributor

Granted, I am not an attorney but that is not a defense by any stretch of the imagination.  They want their case separated from the other cases because they acted independantly and did not conspire with any of the others who are charged.  I think it's more about the optics of a trial.  They wanted to be seen as parents who made simply made a mistake and not as part of conspiracy of criminals.  Honestly, there isn't person is this country who would fall for something as ridiculous as "we didn't know it was wrong to pay $25,000 to have someone lie, cheat and change our son's SAT score".  "But it was only $25,000 and not $1M dollars like THOSE other people...LOL    

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom 

I think that's coming after the trials for the parents and after whatever actions they take against the adult children.  To some extent, they need the cooperation of the schools in charging the coaches and admissions officers etc.  Who, in my opinion, are the worst offenders and the ones who I hope get some serious jail time.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Hoovermom 

I think that's coming after the trials for the parents and after whatever actions they take against the adult children.  To some extent, they need the cooperation of the schools in charging the coaches and admissions officers etc.  Who, in my opinion, are the worst offenders and the ones who I hope get some serious jail time.  

@chrystaltree :  Bigger fish than the coaches, etc., who have to know what all is involved in this.  We all should sleep better tonight, huh?  No.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Instead of going ‘down’ the foodchain for the children,

I would like to see officials go ‘up’ the foodchain &

start focusing on the universities & their board structure

foe answers. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Instead of going ‘down’ the foodchain for the children,

I would like to see officials go ‘up’ the foodchain &

start focusing on the universities & their board structure

foe answers. 

@sidsmom :  We actually agree Smiley Very Happy.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@suzyQ3 :  I am under the impression that these 
"elite" schools let "celebrities" into their schools under the guide of donations of various buildings, etc. equalling millions of dollars.  Of course, there are no strings attached LOL.  Maybe if these people had shelled out big $000,000,000 there would be no chatter about it.  Why aren't they in trouble instead of the "small player"?  Are they going to take diplomas back from these big players and their children?  Of course not.  These incidents don't have any bearing on my life.

@Hoovermom, okay, so you're talking about people donating money or a building to a college to help their kids get in, something that up to this point has not been illegal. Got it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland