Super Contributor

I have plans to buy bedroom furniture at Costco while it is available.

I’m doing some home renovations and have things boxed up and stored in my bedroom while work is being done in other rooms. I plan to have the carpet cleaned once I can put away the stored things.

All this is to ask...is it ok to leave the boxed furniture pieces in the garage since the temps are varying between the 20s - 50s?  I certainly don’t want to risk damage to them.  I wonder if warehouses where furniture is stored are heated?

Thoughts?

TIA,

Demitra

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cold temps and furniture

I supervised a furniture warehouse for 6 years. The winter temperatures will not harm your factory boxed furniture.
Esteemed Contributor

If the furniture is boxed and in the garage, I can't imagine they would get ruined. You could email Costco thru their site and ask this question. Then you'll feel more comfortable.

Honored Contributor

It isn't so much the cold, but the dampness that might occur in there with the big flux in temps.

I would try not to do it for very long, and open the furniture boxes so you can keep an eye on it as the temps change. 

Is the garage attached? If so they usually do a little better than one that isn't. 

Honored Contributor

And I'm assuming there is a lot of wood involved which can be harmed by condensation with temp changes. 

Anything fabric will draw damp if the garage gets damp as well.

Super Contributor

It is all wooden furniture. 

I guess it it can be moved into the dining room for the time being. I just hate to ask help in moving it once, let alone twice!

To the former furniture warehouse worker...was the furniture there for very long or rotated out fairly quickly?

Seems all my projects are delayed for one reason or another.

i finally made a decision on kitchen flooring today only to find out the color is back ordered till MarchSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Keep it up off of the cement floor like on blocks of wood or on top of a wooden palette to prevent moisture damage.

Esteemed Contributor

No - no problem     I've had an inexpensive end table in the garage - no box - sitting on the cement floor - for 11 years.  It's still standing with no sign of decay.  If I loved it - it would be in the house - - so for your good furniture I wouldn't suggest 11 years - but a quick job = = no problem.

Honored Contributor

SilleeMee:  Sometimes we think alike!  That was my very first thought when reading the thread title.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I've had some oak chairs, table extenders, and an oak chandelier out in my shed uncovered for several years and they don't have any damage.  It doesn't get wet in the shed, just really cold.