Honored Contributor

It was 8 this morning ,the birds are eating like crazy, i don't see how they survive when it is cold.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Southern WV was 12 when I went to bed at midnight.  We are at 21 now.  I set my heat pump to emergency heat to bypass the outside unit and bring heat off the inside unit.   

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It was 8 this morning ,the birds are eating like crazy, i don't see how they survine when it is cold.

@goldensrbest  that is just TOO COLD. Brrrrr!!!!

Respected Contributor

I put the feeder back out last Sunday, and waited all week as it went unnoticed...but today I had some birds. It doesn't usually take them that many days to notice it. Quiet now. It is soooooo frigid here in CT today, I hope all the birds are hunkered down somewhere, and when they get hungry figure out there is plenty of food here!  uggggh....supposed to get worse than this, with possible 50mph winds all weekend. 😫  Says it will remain this way, oh yes and we're supposed to get snow Sunday night-Tue morning. 🥶😫😫 Until a "balmy 36" returns next Wednesday. 

Me AND the birds should have gone south!! At least they can fly... 😏

Respected Contributor

Our Pidgeons are drinking the hot water I put out on our cinderblock back fence - all day ...

I'm refilling it because they are practically lining up to drink it.

We've fed them peanuts, date pieces, Schmucker's Natural Chunky Peanut Butter (they love the stuff) Apples; sliced into small pieces, and home made baconfat suet. 

All the birds are welcome.

At night I put out peanuts, apple slices, whole pitted dates, old fashioned oats, and peeled/sliced thin pieces of yam for "my" opossums that roam our alley.  I adore those lil buds, they are so cute!

I put it on the cinderblock fence as well as in a tin pan in the alley on the ground for any creature that is interested.  

I will always feed and give water to the animals. Always.

Honored Contributor

Feels like temp:  -1°

65-70 mph wind

Chi-Chi was tramatized after her morning potty break.

IMG_0170.jpg

Has not moved in 5 hrs.  I keep checking her to make sure she is still breathing. Smiley LOL

I had to carry her inbetween cars so the wind would not topple her over as well as myself.  Wind blew her frozen tootsie roll poop all over the place.  Pee froze on contact w/ground & on my boot & pants leg.icon_exclaim.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Gong out again to put more food down,will try apples sliced up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I often wonder how many really survive.  We feed them everyday but the squirrels steal most of it.  Feathers keep them warm, my husband tells me.  He's a bird officionado  (so he thinks) but I think he tells me that cuz I worry about them.  I guess if they are native to the area they are used to it.  Thanks for feeding them and caring. Heart

Honored Contributor

Heck at my house in the Desert Southwest, it was 10° at 5am with a brisk breeze Tuesday.  It may have gone down a bit more before dawn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest    Everyday I put out dry cat food for the neighborhood stray who arrives early .  She comes back at dinner time too....But lately the birds are munching on her food so the bowl is completely empty by noon.  
   I really don't mind...but the cat is not happy.  😿