Respected Contributor

Coffee grounds as deodorizer

Does anyone use fresh coffee grounds to deodorize? I sprinkle a few grounds in the kitchen & bathroom trash cans. When I empty the coffee into the canister, I leave the bag out for a day or two and the smell is wonderful every time I walk by.

When I had cats, I'd place coffee grounds on the shelf directly above the littler box. It didn't completely do away with the odor, but it sure help keep it at bay.

I've taken musty odors out of handbags and other items using coffee grounds.

Anyone have more tips?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee grounds as deodorizer

I am much more into eliminating the source of odors than into covering them up. Musty odors are caused by mildew which needs washed out with lysol or bleach for instance.

Super Contributor

On 2/4/2015 pommom said:

Does anyone use fresh coffee grounds to deodorize? I sprinkle a few grounds in the kitchen & bathroom trash cans. When I empty the coffee into the canister, I leave the bag out for a day or two and the smell is wonderful every time I walk by.

When I had cats, I'd place coffee grounds on the shelf directly above the littler box. It didn't completely do away with the odor, but it sure help keep it at bay.

I've taken musty odors out of handbags and other items using coffee grounds.

Anyone have more tips?

Coffee grounds to eliminate odor is a good tip! Thanks

Respected Contributor

I put some into my disposal and it does the trick.

Super Contributor

antique ice box. used (and replaced) coffee grounds for a long time. didn't work. got rid of 'stench' but it took a while,,,,now I can' remember the many things I used (sorry

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I'll put coffee grounds into a partially-open ziplock baggie & put it in the unused ashtray of my car if the air seems stale, especially during the winter when the windows are closed most of the time.

I also use activated charcoal in old cotton socks inside my shoes, & in an open container under the kitchen sink. I buy it at the pet store, in the aquarium section.

Honored Contributor

I have several cans of inexpensive (on sale) coffee on closet floors. Also, whole cloves bundled in tulle/netting used as hanging sachets. Oh, also, a few hanging lavender sachets here and there. p.s. Those hanging automobile 'trees' in vanilla and strawberry in the attic!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 2/4/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I have several cans of inexpensive (on sale) coffee on closet floors. Also, whole cloves bundled in tulle/netting used as hanging sachets. Oh, also, a few hanging lavender sachets here and there. p.s. Those hanging automobile 'trees' in vanilla and strawberry in the attic!

Those auto "trees" always make me think of one of the gruesome scenes from the film Se7en.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

I've also used coffee beans to eliminate musty odor from an antique dry sink and after years of using them the inside of the dry sink just smells like coffee.

Honored Contributor

Eeeks..........I haven't seen the movie...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).