Valued Contributor

Ok I admit it, I was watching one of the housewife shows and was so sad for the daughter of Kyle going off to college. The girl is at least 18 years old and Kyle said, I better teach you how to do laundry before you go? WHAT????? Is that just because they are loaded, or don't parents teach their children just basic living skills anymore?? I taught my kids to do laundry, how to cook, clean house, including cleaning the toilets, for both my boys and my daughter. My daughter in law thanks me for teaching my son basic skills so he can do his share of the dirty work that alot of women of my generation have been stuck doing. What are your views on this? And do or did you teach your children basic skills?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coddling today's children

When my daughter was 7, I taught her how to separate her clothes and doing her wash in different temps. From that time forward, she did her own wash, with help when it was needed. I assisted with the dryer. At the age of 10 I started to teach her how to iron. (To this day she loathes ironing and you should see her pile of clean clothes that need to need ironed. LOL!)

Additionally, I taught her all of the housekeeping basics and also how to take care of houseplants: watering, feeding and re-potting. She ended up having a green thumb.

Several weeks before high school graduation, I was standing on a corner across from the school speaking with some mothers: we had known each other since our daughters were in kindergarten. Someone brought up the fact that she was really worried because she didn't know how her daughter was going to wash, dry and care for her clothing in college. Everyone agreed but me. They asked me why I wasn't concerned, so I basically explained what I said above. They actually asked my why I had bothered to teach her those skills. Can you believe it!

Yes, all of our husbands were making 6 figures, so the girls were privileged and many had daily housekeepers. Seems, however, that there is no accounting for lack of common sense 6 figures or not!

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, there were always those who didn't teach their kids how to take care of themselves. In the 90s one of my DD's college roommates had a mother who drove more than an hour each way on the weekends to deliver clean, ironed clothes and pick up the dirties. One of the most horrifying things I have ever heard of.

Respected Contributor

Then there are the kids I know: the ones basically running the household and taking care of younger sibs while one or both parents work multiple jobs.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Mom driving seventeen year old son (within short walking distance; non-violent area, so far)..........Embarrassing, if you ask me.......(lol)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately for me my mother preferred to do it all herself -- no we didn't have money -- but I remember her telling my cousin who lived to cook that it was so much easier to do it herself than be bothered teaching me. I Never learned to cook -- I did know how to wash cloths and a little ironing but was Never allowed to use the washing maching -- only mom could do that. Mind you this was until she died when I was in my fifties -- whenever she was in the hospital I had to go to the laundromat. Funny now but true.

Of course we never had a dryer so everything went outside on the line. And I couldn't leave home without a wedding ring -- and no sucker wanted me so i stayed home where I belonged.

Unfortunately in our day , most of the girls did stay home until marriage at their parents request not theirs.

Honored Contributor

I had three kids and they all did their own laundry from jr. high on up. I watched that same show and thought it was ridiculous as well but I'm betting their maid or someone probably does the laundry.

Respected Contributor

I bet Kyle has never done her own laundry.

Honored Contributor

On 12/31/2014 bigsister said:

I bet Kyle has never done her own laundry.

I wouldn't doubt it. Did anyone see the show last year when her daughter graduated and she gave her a huge huge diamond ring? I realize they are wealthy but I thought it was ridiculous.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Back in the 1940s, my mom's 2 older brothers both married women who had never cooked, cleaned, done laundry, etc. She was 8 y/o when they hired her to come clean their houses b/c their wives wouldn't.

Mom taught us GIRLS (not my brother, of course) how to clean, cook, etc. by age 8, and we did it all til we moved out and still do our own.

I taught my 2 older sons how to do all of that, starting with doing their own laundry at age 6. My youngest just turned 16, and I told him last night it's time for him to learn more than "light" cleaning now....so today, when he wakes up - voila! The cleaning lessons begin! I've been mostly retired and a SAHM since this son was in kindergarten, so I've just done everything. But now, working again, I'm motivated to bring him up to speed fast!