Trusted Contributor

Coconut Oil---what do I need to look for when buying?

I keep reading about all the health benefits and uses for coconut oil. There are so many different kinds/brands.....organic..refined...etc. I have no idea what to look for to get the healthiest and most beneficial kind. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Coconut Oil---what do I need to look for when buying?

Definitely go with the best quality and 100% coconut oil. Many companies have jumped on the bandwagon lately and are making an inferior product that isn't 100% coconut oil.

Refined means it has been bleached and deodorized to remove any coconut smell and taste. It is made from dried coconut and has a higher temperature tolerance so is better for high temp frying.

Unrefined (or ""Virgin"" ""Pure"") is made from fresh coconut and retains it's mild coconut flavor and smell. It has a lower burning temp so isn't as good for high heat (over 350°)

I use Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut oil. I use it mostly for baking and for skin care so I don't mind the slight coconut aroma. They also make a cooking spray (like ""PAM"") which I use for greasing muffin tins.

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's is my favorite. Light, fresh natural coconut fragrance. I choose the jars with the solid coconut oil in them. Then, I spoon out a portion and fill a smaller clean jar so I can use it on my hands, skin (as well as using the original in my cooking.) I spread it on toast, too! Always use a spotless, clean spoon when taking it out of the jar. It's anti - microbial, bacterial, fungal. Used it on the outside tip rim of my cat's ear, and it healed in a couple of days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

My herbalist has their own brand in their store which I'm tempted to try.

She said it's a great eye mu remover. She also enjoys a spoonful in her hot cocoa in the morning. She said it's like having a Mounds bar.

Honored Contributor

Yes, a spoonful in hot coffee or hot cocoa with milk is marvelous!! BTW, Wasn't there a Marvel Bar, or something similar???? Sometimes names/things just pop into my mind, lol.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Occasional Contributor

I've been using coconut oil for years. I would recommend 100% Organic Coconut Oil. No refined. BTW-if frying with it, if you don't add a ton of it, your food will not taste like coconuts. Some brands taste more like coconut than others. I also add a tspn to my strawberry banana smoothies made with vanilla Keffier (yogurt), splash of milk, and vanilla protein powder (all organic) because I love the coconut flavor. It also helps to burn fat. I've lost quite a bit of weight from coconut oil. I commend you for doing your research & your willingness to try new things. Good luck to you :-)

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

Honored Contributor

I use 100% Coconut on my hair once a week..pin it up....leave it on for an hour and then wash it out. You would think it would weigh your hair down...quite the opposite...my hair is shiny and bouncy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**